RV-14?

A forum for the proverbial airport bum who just wants to talk about anything and everything related to flying. Introduce yourself here !!

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

RV-14?

Post by Spike »

OK, so its been two weeks now and all of you guys are back from OSH and nobody is talking about the RV-14?

I am a bit surprised. Someone give me their impression.

Spike
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

painless
Class C

Post by painless »

I don't know all the performance stats ect, but my first impression is that I really don't want/need to spend more $ for a bigger 7A. Again, just a first impression.

As with all RV's, it's a pretty airplane. I imagine it would make for a more stable IFR platform. The nose gear is the same as the -10, so it's a bit more robust. More baggage/useful load, which would help to haul all my wife's stuff she takes on trips. This assuming I can get her in the airplane in the first place, but that's another story.....
Jeff Orear
RV6A N782P
Hatz Classic, Welding fuselage
Hatz build log. https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&p ... GNCwv&sid=
Peshtigo, WI

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

painless wrote: More baggage/useful load, which would help to haul all my wife's stuff she takes on trips.
Jeff,

Actually it has the same baggage load as the RV-7!:

Slower than the RV-7, same baggage capacity, a more expensive engine (IO-390). The capacity is 25% more than a RV-7, however the fuel consumption will be higher with a 210 HP engine.

It will be easier/faster to assemble since all of the wiring harnesses are pre-made. This should make it more like a RV-12 as far as assembly goes, but with solid rivets. I think I read somewhere the holes are drilled to final size!

So easier to build, wider and more expensive. Perhaps Van's new target customers are rich, lazy and overweight!
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Perhaps. But then maybe they are wealthy, overworked, and tall?

John

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

Spike wrote:Perhaps. But then maybe they are wealthy, overworked, and tall?

John
Touche'

The 14 is a nice aircraft. I looked it over in the hangar at Juneau (UNU) before the parade. At the time I was under the impression that it was a big 7A and assumed it had higher baggage limit. since Kris and I flew in a few days early at Gross weight (and our bonanza friends carried 30# of shit) I thought, #150 of baggage cap would be cool.

Then I asked myself what's our mission. Fast cruiser for weekend trips and high fun factor around the valley. Well my 7 meets those requirements....Especially when I see the speed and baggage limitations of the -14. Also look at the price of a 390... :o ....I wanted one for my -7 when they were $28-30K. Couldn't afford it then, now they are Pushing $40000 or more.

So while the 14 looked nice and will be a big seller. I'm perfectly happy and glad I built my 7.
Brian
Townsend, MT

painless
Class C

Post by painless »

I'm surprised regarding the baggage capacity. Guess I still leave the wife and her stuff home! :P
Jeff Orear
RV6A N782P
Hatz Classic, Welding fuselage
Hatz build log. https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&p ... GNCwv&sid=
Peshtigo, WI

BlndRvtr12
Class G

RV14

Post by BlndRvtr12 »

I'm kinda new to this RV stuff, but the -14 really interests me.
I see many references to the -14 being compared to the -7. It seems to me to be more closely resembling the RV-9. Why do you experienced RV folks compare it more to the -7?

Also, do you think the RV-14 would be a reasonable project for a first time RV builder?

pazmanyflyer
Class G

RV-14?

Post by pazmanyflyer »

Because it's stressed for aerobatics. The 9's are not. The 7/9 fuselage are the same but the wings are completely different airfoils stressed differently. From all the photos, video's and talk I'm seeing a 7 plat form with clipped 10 wings (but stressed for acro), the 9 tail shape but structurally re-engineered and constructed and if you look closely to the interior do I also see the touches of the 12? Both in how the control sticks are mounted as well as the lower longeron placement and bubble(ier?) canopy for height and view outside? It also runs in the same ball park performance wise as the 7 with that IO-390 in the cowl.

If they have simplified the construction as they have stated it should be one of the easiest builds they have. Well besides the 12 anyways. The 14 still requires flush rivets in it's construction.

Carlos in Arizona
RV-7 (Building fuse now)

On 8/8/2012 7:09 AM, RB Lists - The Hangar wrote:
var _gaq = _gaq || []; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-32227099-1']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']); (function() { var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true; ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js'; var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s); })();
I'm kinda new to this RV stuff, but the -14 really interests me.
I see many references to the -14 being compared to the -7. It seems to me to be more closely resembling the RV-9. Why do you experienced RV folks compare it more to the -7?

Also, do you think the RV-14 would be a reasonable project for a first time RV builder?

rivetbangers.com - Discussion topic http://www.rivetbangers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=40206#40206

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2012.0.2178 / Virus Database: 2437/5186 - Release Date: 08/08/12

Submitted via email

lancef53
Class D

Post by lancef53 »

I like the idea, and will like it more when they put the little wheel on the right end.

But I am a bubba, and at 6'4" I always like bigger planes :)
RV 8
First Flight--4-3-2010

1:1_Scale
Class D

Post by 1:1_Scale »

The two things that interest me with the -14 are the more advanced nature of the kit and the added fuel capacity. I added the fuel capacity with the Hotel Whiskey ER tanks, and I think I'm far enough along in my build that I think I'd be going backward starting over, even with a more advanced kit (not to mention the price).

My initial reaction was "aw, man! Now my plane is obsolete before it's even done!" But the more I thought about it, the happier I am with having a -7 with more fuel :)
Kelly
RV-7 Empennage done, wings done, fuselage to QB stage
1947 Stinson108-1 flying

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I'm a fan of the size. I bet the next one is a '9' version with a better wing and not stressed for Aero.

Actually, what I would LOVE to see is Van come out with a somewhat smaller 4 seater for a 200/210 HP Lycoming. That class aircraft is such a sweet spot. I have no doubt that he could completely crush the arrow/cardinal/sierra class of retracts with fixed gear, comfort, etc.

John

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Spike, you are right. An Arrow or Cirrus sized plane would be cool!

I was vocal on the other site ranting about a diesel powered high wing bush plane. It matters none what I would like. The question is, what about the 14.

The 14, as I understand it is an effort for Van to create a new model with as many existing parts as possible. That is a good business model and it will keep the unique parts count (corporate-wise) to a minimum.

If they can also quell the 2 seat nosedragger "issue" in the process, that is a bonus, as it uses the -10 nosegear.

It has a shortened -10 wing and a 2 seat version of the fuse. OK, cool...

It uses a -9 tail, uses more gas than the -7 on a more expensive engine, and goes slower. The 390 is premium loot!

IMO, it WILL NOT replace the -7 in the way the -7 replaced the -6. They would have stopped selling -7 tails by now if that was the intention.

My -7 will not be obsoleted by it nor would anyone Else's. The -14 appeals to another type of individual.

I am fine with the size of the -7 cabin, it's fuel consumption, performance and aesthetics. I bet everyone else who has a -7 feels the same way. PERHAPS, the -7A crowd MIGHT feel differently?

No doubt, it is a fine plane! It is more costly in many ways than ALL of it's 2 seat stablemates. Right now I am watching CBS News (not the right wing stuff as much as I agree with it!) and they are talking about the lousy economy. I just don't see the customer base being there. There are less new RV start-ups out there and more kits for sale every day!

I dare say that Van won't sell as many of these kits today as he might have even just 5 years ago.

That doesn't mean it's a bad kit. It just means that there isn't a huge market out there right now for a more costly, bigger kit.

My two... seeing as though you asked for it!

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

captain_john wrote:....My -7 will not be obsoleted by it nor would anyone Else's. The -14 appeals to another type of individual.

I am fine with the size of the -7 cabin, it's fuel consumption, performance and aesthetics. I bet everyone else who has a -7 feels the same way. PERHAPS, the -7A crowd MIGHT feel differently?

. though you asked for it!

:) CJ
yep. :mrgreen:
Brian
Townsend, MT

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

What is really weird is there is no -14 tab, let alone ANY MENTION of the -14 on the www.vansaircraft.com website.

I dunno... that would be like the first thing I would have done if I had a major product announcement at the biggest airshow in the US.

My three...

:roll: CJ
RV-7

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

They will probably get to it once the 'noise' calms down. It is splashed all over their home page.

I keep wondering what the next design is to come out. Should be interesting.

Spike

prestwich
Class D

Post by prestwich »

Okey Dokey, I've spent some time soaking up all the -14 news I could find, and I have to say that if I ever do get back to building, I'm now very tempted to go with that beast instead of the 7A. At 6'1" and 180, I'm not exactly a linebacker, but all my length is in my torso, and the 7 is very snug when it comes to headroom.

But more than that, the sophistication of Van's kits keeps evolving. If they aren't lying through their bug-encrusted teeth, the 14 will be the best kit yet in terms of prefabrication as well as completeness, and refinement of directions as well. It's great we have the group here where people can get a little assistance with head-scratching at every juncture, but I'd prefer a solid, complete, step-by-step, unambiguous assembly manual, and that's exactly what Van's claims for the 14.

As an example, Van's says pesky annoyances like getting the damn canopy to fit have been resolved. I'm more of a scientist than an artist, so for me it sounds like they're really moving in a positive direction.

As far as costs, well, flying is expensive. Yeah sure, you can still build an experimental airplane for 20k, but I'd opine that even at 80 or 100k, Van gives us more for our money than the alternatives in the same price range. I still don't know how I'm going to afford this hobby, but if it means selling my future for my present, I might decide it's worth it.

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

I suppose my negative attitude about the announcement of the RV-14 is similar to how people felt when the pre-punch'd kits came out from those who built RV3/4/6's.

Looking at the RV-14 more closely now, I think it is a new method for Van's to get a new customer base who is overwhelmed with how complex the current RV-6/7 kits are - especially when it comes to wiring and firewall forward. For Van's to release the RV-14 as a "complete kit" to include full documentation on the FWF and full wiring harnesses, it takes a lot of the scare factor out of the RV. It also makes the RV-14 safer since there will most likely be a proven design in place for everyone who builds it to Van's specs.
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

They sure are getting closer to a customer base like myself who just doesn't have the time. I also sometimes wonder if they are working their way to supporting some type of pre-produced production or a 2 week to taxi like program.

John

Fred Fagan
Class G

RV-14?

Post by Fred Fagan »

Please unsubscribe me from your list

Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2012 8:57 AM
To: hangar@rivetbangers.com (hangar@rivetbangers.com)
Subject: RV-14?

They sure are getting closer to a customer base like myself who just doesn't have the time. I also sometimes wonder if they are working their way to supporting some type of pre-produced production or a 2 week to taxi like program.

John

www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 1 year into a baby girl

rivetbangers.com - Discussion topic http://www.rivetbangers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=40247#40247

Submitted via email

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

WOW!

Was it something I said?

:o CJ
RV-7