Going to start soon

A forum for the proverbial airport bum who just wants to talk about anything and everything related to flying. Introduce yourself here !!

Midnight Sun
Class G

Going to start soon

Post by Midnight Sun »

I have been lurking here for a little while and thought I would say HELLO. The decision to build an RV has been a long one at that but now is the time.

Some background. I am an aircraft mechanic in Eagle River Alaska and before that I was in a sheet metal shop for a number of years before that. I have rebuilt several airplanes for other people and well now it's my turn.

The down side is that I am one of those people that should not own an airplane as I am reasonably poor, But on the flip side of that I have a wonderful wife who told me to go ahead with this project and I have a place to build and the tools to do it.

In a month or so I should be starting on the RV-7 tail kit and going on from there. Who knows how this will end but I am going to give it a good shot.
Maesure with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, cut it with an ax.

aparchment
Class C

can be done

Post by aparchment »

These planes can be built on a budget, especially if you are willing to keep the plane simple and as seems to be the case with you, have the ability to build your own engine. The kit itself isn't ridiculously expensive, it's what you put in it that drives the price up.

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

:welcome: to RB Midnight! Antony is right...you can build it as cheap as you want, or as $$$$$$$$$ as you want! I know one guy that built an RV-6A for $30k!! I'm on the cheaper end of the scale with mine as well (I suppose that's relative), but still managed some reasonably good equipment...

8)

Keep us posted with pics, and ask ANY question you like!

:)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

Just decide what your mission is and build the plane to fit the mission. I try to keep in mind a posting I saw on a RV mailing list a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

"We're just trying to get to Oshkosh, we're not trying to go to the moon."

(I changed the city name to protect the guilty)

Oh, and :welcome:
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

Welcome to RivetBangers, there is lots of good info in the forums, links, and the files, it can save you a lot of grief, and if it isn't there, ask, you may even get a good answer :roll:.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

Midnight Sun
Class G

Post by Midnight Sun »

I have been browsing quite a few buildrs sites and have picked up quite a few tips I am going to be using for my day to day job even.

There are a great many decisions to make and those can be researched and figured out later. I am purging some of my extra hobby stuff to make room for this. (Anyone want a few RC Helicopters :D ??)

HERE IS MY OTHER HOBBY

Getting a bigger machine seems to be a natural progression. Though I highly doubt I will be able to achieve the same power to weight ratio.

I did start wrenching on airplanes in Davis California where I would often see fleets of RV's flying over and then even more so at Cameron park. Life and family got in the way but as I mentioned now is the perfect time.

Thank you for the welcome and there will be many more questions as I go along. Mostly about avionics as those are a total mystery to me.

clreding
Class E

Post by clreding »

Welcome! Next February when I am in Anchorage again maybe we can get together for a beer or 2 and talk RV building. I do the Susitna 100 (although I havent done the race in a couple of years). It usually takes me a week or so to recover. Maybe I can get you to stop by the peanut farm and get me another Bush Pilot tee shirt
:evil:

Midnight Sun
Class G

Post by Midnight Sun »

Hell yeah I will still be around. I know the Peanut Farm well and go there often.