Bought an engine!

A forum for the proverbial airport bum who just wants to talk about anything and everything related to flying. Introduce yourself here !!

1:1_Scale
Class D

Bought an engine!

Post by 1:1_Scale »

Franklin 220 with a CS prop for $15k:

The crazy part, is it came with a flying Stinson 108-1 for no extra charge! :o

I found a really good deal on a 1947 Stinson 108-1 and figured I'd jump on it. I drove down to Carson City to check it out, and didn't see anything that scared me, so a week later my friend Tony and I drove down with my instructor to pick it up. Tony got to drive back with a bunch of extra parts, and I flew back with my instructor. Most of the pics are of the cell phone variety, so I apologize :wink:

How it appeared when I looked at it the first time:

Interior:

Before the flight home:

During the flight home:

Shortly after takeoff, we noticed the some of the instruments weren't really working like they should. Brian (my instructor) brought his 296, but the plane didn't have a power jack, so we would turn it on, get the heading and pic a landmark that was on that heading and fly towards it with the GPS turned off to save the battery. Turns out there was water in the static line and was causing incorrect readings- simple fix. The compass probably just needs to be rebuilt, again, no biggie.

There are some other little things to take care of before I really start building time in it, and one of those things is cleaning up the paint. I've just done a little bit here and there to get an idea of what to expect, and I think it'll be good:

So inexpensive time builder/family hauler with the potential to be a nice backwoods flyer later on!

And I AM joking about putting the 220 on the RV- I'm sure that would drop the value by 50% based on "franklin fear" alone, although I think it would probably be a pretty nice combo :mrgreen:
Kelly
RV-7 Empennage done, wings done, fuselage to QB stage
1947 Stinson108-1 flying

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Wow! That is sweet!

There is some nice looking paint under all that schmutz!

The stintson 108 is a sweet flying plane!

Nice grab!

:wink: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

painless
Class C

Post by painless »

Awesome!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Jeff Orear
RV6A N782P
Hatz Classic, Welding fuselage
Hatz build log. https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&p ... GNCwv&sid=
Peshtigo, WI

pat
Class E

Post by pat »

A lot of good bargains out there but it looks like you found a great one! What great fun you will have in your newfound family stationwagon.
Pat

Class D

Thanks guys :) It should make for a good time builder/family hauler. Once I finish my PPL, no more 5+ hour trips in the car to see family or make it to the coast 8) After the kid came along, those trips have been pretty hard on my wife (and therefore, ME).

CJ, the paint certainly isn't perfect (some peeling on the leading edges, and peeling paint that was put on on top of paint), but it'll definitely get better! It almost looks like that forlorn and abandoned plane on the tarmac right now, just needs some elbow grease and TLC :)
Kelly
1947 Stinson108-1 flying

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

That is so way cool!!

Good thinking.
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

BSwayze
Class C

Post by BSwayze »

You had me going there for a minute, Kelly. Nice deal! So any thoughts about what you ARE going to put on your RV?
Bruce Swayze
Portland, Oregon
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
RV-7A Working on Firewall Forward

Class D

Hey Bruce! It's always a moving target at this point, and at the pace I'm going, electric might be the only option by the time I'm ready :wink: Leaning towards a high compression parallel valve IO-360. I'd LIKE to have 200hp at my home airport (4100'), but you never know what will happen until it does. One thing that's in my favor though, is that one of my customers has his name on the cowling of Nemesis in the NASM, so we've talked about things that can be done :)
Kelly
1947 Stinson108-1 flying