GoPro learning

A forum for the proverbial airport bum who just wants to talk about anything and everything related to flying. Introduce yourself here !!

hydroguy2
Class B

GoPro learning

Post by hydroguy2 »

I got a GoPro in April, but have only tried to use it a couple times. I have no idea what I'm doing. I would like to put some music on them, but don't know how. Anyway I have managed to play a bit.

Here's a clipped up video from yesterdays flight home.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es459En ... e=youtu.be

What settings are others using?
Brian
Townsend, MT

plbarrett2004
Class E

Post by plbarrett2004 »

While I haven't done a lot of aerial GoPro work (since I'm still building), I do have two GoPros and have had the opportunity to film in multiple settings, to include a few flights.

Generally speaking you want to shoot at the highest resolution possible for your model that does not sacrifice frame rates. The GoPro optics and sensor capture a set field of view. The different settings essentially pare down that field of view in order to allow for faster frame rates and processing etc. Depending on what model you have, I recommend shooting at 1080p 30fps in Superview or wide mode. If you are looking to do slow motion or other effects you can go with less resolution and higher frame rates.

As far as editing is concerned, I'm a mac guy and I use GoPro Studio, iMovie, or Final Cut X Pro depending on the project. If you are a mac guy and new to video editing, iMovie is about as easy as it comes.

If you're not a mac guy, then I would stick with the GoPro Studio software. You can add music to your shots by following these instructions http://gopro.com/support/articles/how-t ... io-project You could add music directly as you record, but this is far more trouble than its worth, and will not produce good results.

I love GoPro, and I'm pretty into video editing, so if you need any help with GoPro studio feel free to shoot me a PM.
Peter Barrett
CFI, CFII, MEI
RV-8 Fastback - Fuselage in progress
Build Log @ papalimabravo.com
SEMPER FIDELIS

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

Thanks for the info. I think I have it currently set up for 1080 and 60fps. don't recall if I have Superview turned on. I had an earlier video that was superview and 1440 and high frame rate. Too much data and hard to download etc.

I'm using GoPro Studio, but seems clunky to me. Also I've added music but it got rejected by facebook/youtube for copyright. I don't have nay music stored on my computer. I hate paying for music so listen to pandora or the radio in the car.

still learning
Brian
Townsend, MT

plbarrett2004
Class E

Post by plbarrett2004 »

A great alternative to YouTube is Vimeo (https://vimeo.com/) especially when it comes to copyright issues with songs. I've tried to post several videos to YouTube only to have them rejected... same videos posted with no problems on Vimeo. Personally, I like the Vimeo interface better anyways. There are some resolution and bandwidth restrictions on Vimeo though, so make sure your upload is within the specs.

Another alternative to GoPro Studio would be Windows Movie Maker... but you'll have to convert the file formats first.

Cheers,
Peter
Peter Barrett
CFI, CFII, MEI
SEMPER FIDELIS

plbarrett2004
Class E

Post by plbarrett2004 »

I was doing some research this morning on using lens filters for the GoPro, when I came across this blog article. I figured this was as good a place as any to post the links for anyone looking to deal with prop distortion or jello warble in their videos.

Here's a thread discussing the use of the filters with a sample video of the results. The prop is practically invisible. Tips for Recording with a GoPro HERO3. Additionally, I found this company which makes snap on filters and attachments specifically for the GoPro. Snake River Prototyping - GoPro Filters

I'm thinking to pick up a set and do some experiments. If I do, I'll be sure to post the results.

Cheers,
Peter
Peter Barrett
CFI, CFII, MEI
SEMPER FIDELIS

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

Thanks for the links and tips. I haven't even been flying so haven't had a chance to test. I did mount my camera to a Polaris RZR last weekend, but haven't watched any of the footage yet
Brian
Townsend, MT

TomNativeNewYorker
Class D

Post by TomNativeNewYorker »