Rebuilding elevators

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 4.
Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Looks good Scott. You must be itchin to go flying again!
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

Ah... okay. Major setback on the elevator rebuild. I don't know how or why other than I wasn't paying attention to detail and was distracted by the day job, and, and, and, BUT... the new elevators just don't fit right. The right one is OK but the left one just fit horribly. Even if I hadn't screwed it up the new elevators are visibly thicker than the horizontal stabilizer. Probably wouldn't notice it from 50 feet but if you get up next to it, it's apparent. :bang:

So, while I decide what to do, I have remounted the old elevators. I also went ahead and fitted my electric trim to the old elevator. I've been ground bound for 2.5 months and need to fly!!!!!!

I'm kind of bummed about this :cry: and some things that happend at work so I REALLY need to get into the air. Also really want to get started in earnest on the 7 project.
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

That is a bummer Scott! Hope you get up and flying soon! That'll take away life's gotcha's...at least for a little while. :) :wink:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

Sorry to hear that Scott, not the best thing that could happen. BUT, you wouldn't be doing this task and now about to do a 7 if you weren't resourceful enough to figure it out and move on. After all, that's what we all do, run up against problems, figure them out, and move on. I would consider talking to one of the people at Vans and see if they say something that might give a clue as to what is going on, they may not be able to solve the problem, but with the number of questions they get from builders like me that know nothing, they might trigger an idea for you. Just talking to one of them about the problem may be enough to come up with a plan. For now, take a break, go flying, then beat that problem.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

Yep, not going to let it get me down. I fly until the weather turns bad here in the valley. Fog season is coming and we'll all be grounded here for about 2 months. I can revisit then. I need to fly for a little while. Maybe get over to Livermore and visit the RVFactory. :)
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

2 1/2 months is far too long for me.. I don't blame you for wanting to get up and flying for a while.

Heck, I get withdrawals from not flying 2 1/2 weeks....

Our RV-4 has been in the hangar for condition inspection this month and it's going on 3 weeks now. Can't wait to finish putting it together this weekend if possible and go fly. (gotta break in 1 new cylinder this time) We had a leaking exhaust valve that put our compression in that cylinder very low. (64/80)... the other 3 were in excellent shape at 78/80, so not sure why this one got a bad valve so soon.
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

Snap
Class D

Post by Snap »

Tell me, is it the right rear cylinder? :?
RV-7A Emp
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

JohnR
Class B

Post by JohnR »

Bummer Scott! :( You'll get it all figured out though. HAve you got it flying yet with the old elevators? I can sure understand why you would want to. If you expect two months of downtime coming due to the fog season it sounds like a good plan.

Keep the chin up!
JohnR
RV-7A - Fuselage - SOLD, just not supposed to be
Numbers 6:24 - The LORD bless thee, and keep thee

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

Yep, the old elevators are on and rigged. Just need to tidy up and put things back. I'm hoping for this weekend. I'll post an inflight photo when I get it up and going again.
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD