My turn making practice parts!

A place to chuckle at yourself and share lessons learned the hard way.
JohnR
Class B

My turn making practice parts!

Post by JohnR »

Okay, I made another practice part. I drilled the backing plate holes for the end tank rib without lining it up first. Needless to say it is not in the correct location but is rotated enough that the fuel sender would not be mounted correctly.

Now the questions is can I salvage this. I am putting in one flop tube and was planning on putting it in the left wing. I made this error on the right wing. Does it make any differnce which tank has the flop tube? The reason I ask is the tank with the flop will get a solid cover anyway and the orientation of the holes will not make a difference.

Looks like most people put the flop on the left but I don't really know why.

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:
JohnR
RV-7A - Fuselage - SOLD, just not supposed to be
Numbers 6:24 - The LORD bless thee, and keep thee

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

No reason whatsoever, it does not matter. I picked the left tank because that just happened to be the tank I was working on when I thought "I need to make provisions for the flop tube." Get the T-411 access plate cover from Vans (I just ordered one for my floppy tank yesterday), and use the other tank for the flop. :)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

JohnR
Class B

Post by JohnR »

Good! I will proceed with my flop in the right tank then.

Thanks for the input Chad. I didn't think it would make a difference but thought maybe there was something I was missing.
JohnR
RV-7A - Fuselage - SOLD, just not supposed to be
Numbers 6:24 - The LORD bless thee, and keep thee

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

I've noticed that at times with this kit, if I am overthinking something, it's something simple and obvious, and if I rush into something without thinking about it, I should've thought about it a little more! :bang: :wink:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com