Don't let this happen to YOU!

A place to chuckle at yourself and share lessons learned the hard way.
captain_john
Sparky

Don't let this happen to YOU!

Post by captain_john »

Here is my first mistake preserved for eternity in a magnetic fashion for your enjoyment and ridicule!

Don't let this happen to you!

I stewed over this one for WEEKS!

As you can clearly see, I drilled my Horizontal Stabilizer nose rib crooked! THIS is the DIFFERENCE between the pre-punched ribs of the new kits and the older kits. The old kits you NEEDED the jig to true all this stuff up with.

Anyways... I had the rib twisted on the front spar and shot it full of holes while it was that way. I emailed Scott Risan at Van's and he said to add the other 2 rivets I have superimposed on the skin and it will actually be a stronger part. It just looks funny on the skin. Of course, it is the TOP SKIN!

I suppose for $7.14 I COULD have purchesed a new nose rib, but this gives me something to talk about! Now, when you see my plane at a fly in you will recognize it!

Oh, and BTW Spike... the pic posting problem has something to do with my laptop. Same OS and browser. I dunno?

:lol: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Interesting picture. Sometimes I wish that I didnt have the pre-punched kit just so I can go through the pain and learning experience.

As far as the laptop is concerned, Im at a bit of a loss also.

-- John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

spikescopilot
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by spikescopilot »

spike wrote:Interesting picture. Sometimes I wish that I didnt have the pre-punched kit just so I can go through the pain and learning experience.
I don't -- cuz it would be painful for me too. :lmao:
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Spike's Co-pilot

http://www.nothingnoteworthy.com (Just another blog)

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

:wink:

Don't worry... there is PLENTY of learning in the kit you will be assembling!

:) CJ
RV-7

darrylDog2000
Class G

Post by darrylDog2000 »

Man Captain... Now I don't feel so bad about my mistakes. :lol: Thanks :)
Aren't you glad we have the ability to learn?

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

:P

Well, like I always say, "There are 2 kinds of animals on this earth... those that DUCK for 2x4's and those that don't!"

I suppose members of the second category could, after being hit in the head once or twice may become members of the first!

:bang: CJ
RV-7

darrylDog2000
Class G

Post by darrylDog2000 »

One un-related question... How did you reserve a tail number? I'm thinking if I did that it would be a motivator.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

At the www.faa.gov website. When I did it they had online functionality, but it was poor. I ended up mailing in my request. It seemed a better method. By now, 2 years later I am sure they made improvements. Search their site. It is easy to find by navigating their menus. If you can't locate the page, lemme know. I will hyperlink you.

:) CJ
RV-7

Cherokee Driver
Class E

Post by Cherokee Driver »

What is worse than screwing up a part? How about doing it after someone (CJ) warned you about it? :x I even remembered this post. :x

No...I can do one better. I can screw up the HS 404 after CJ cautioned us about being careful to have it aligned AND after already ordering this part once before for a different screwup!!! :bang: :bang:

For the photo, I used blue sharpie to show contrast against the HS 801PP skin. Well...Van's employees have to eat too. :oops:

Here I alligned it, checked it a bunch of times. Clamped it with side clamps, and somehow it moved on me as I was handling the HS assembly.

I should have checked the alignment before each hole. But I trusted my initial double check and drilled all the holes.

My advice to my self (I am not experienced enough to offer advice to others yet...) is even when I think I am being careful and I have double checked my measurements, alignment, (pick one) don't merrily go along and drill. Just when I think I have it all together I need to TAKE MY TIME!!! The other advice is when the weather is this good...go flying...rather than spend the afternoon in the shop!

This embarrassing confession brought to you by Complacency...the direct path toward Humility.

Cherokee Driver
RV-8A
Wing Kit (Slow Build...very slow build)
Home of "Skunk Works, Wisconsin Branch"
"Glacial Pace...but lovin every minute of it!"

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

I bet if your edge distance is still good for those holes, that when you call Van's they'll say "build on." Not even really a cosmetic problem as that will be under the fairing. OTOH, it is probably a cheap part and if it bothers you no harm in replacing it.

Thomas
-8 ailerons

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

True dat, true dat...

$7.11 as I recall. Build on.

:wink: CJ
RV-7

Cherokee Driver
Class E

Post by Cherokee Driver »

Thanks guys,

Part already ordered. A few bucks wont hurt me nearly as much as my pride is injured by making the mistakes in the first place. The edge distance is out of compliance with the guideance of 43.13. I am a stickler for staying within the "acceptable methods."

I was trained well by my late AP/IA and close friend, and he left me with a lot of inspiration. He was always paitent with mistakes showing me that they can be corrected on the ground a lot easier than in the air. Between the memory of my old friend/mechanic and the fantastic work being displayed daily on these forums by all of you, a high standard exists that keeps us safe and inspired.

CD
RV-8A
Wing Kit (Slow Build...very slow build)
Home of "Skunk Works, Wisconsin Branch"
"Glacial Pace...but lovin every minute of it!"

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

those HS404's were a pain in the rear for me! i got it done, but i did exactly as you were describing, CD. i drilled one hole, checked it, moved to the next. triple checking each time. i read the stories and saw the pics of those things shifting. we've all had to replace parts, and if someone thinks they'll go through it and not replace anything, they must not be building, they're dreaming! :)

build on my friend! :wink:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com