tool mark on rivet head from avery squeezer set

A place to chuckle at yourself and share lessons learned the hard way.
rv8bill
Class G

tool mark on rivet head from avery squeezer set

Post by rv8bill »

Tool marks being left on rivet head after squeezing. Very similar to "smileys" only not as pronounced. The mark appears as a very small line around the perimeter of the rivet head. Yes, I'm using correct set. When I put some thin scotch tape over the rivet set, the mark almost completely disappears. I'm Using the avery squeezer and set. How much of a problem is this?

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Hi Bill,

Welcome to RivetBangers! I have the Avery rivet set as well, and most of my squeezed AN470AD4-x rivets have the same faint line. Now, when I say line, there is no indentation on the rivet, it looks like a silver line. What this is is the anodization of the rivet wearing off and you are looking at the true color of the rivet. As long as there isn't any indentation the set is leaving behind, your rivet is fine.

I find this marking much more pronounced when using a rivet gun and bucking bar to drive these rivets. My fix is to put a piece of black electrical tape over the rivet set. I need to change it about every 20 rivets, but it leaves unmarred rivets behind.

Good Luck!
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

rv8bill
Class G

Post by rv8bill »

Thanks Mike. This sounds like what is going on here. Using the sharp end of a pick, I gently slid it down the side of the rivet head in an attempt to get a feel for how significant the indentation may be. However, in most cases the sharp edge of the pick did'nt "catch" when passed over this indentation. This supports what you are saying. There were a few instances where I thougth I could feel the pick "catch", but it was extremley slight. Thanks for your help!![/u]

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

Welcome to rivetbangers Bill. I have also found the same thing and putting a bit of tape over the set works just fine. I did try the "Snap Soc's" from Avery as well, they work really well, but changing the tape every 10 or 20 rivets isn't that big of a deal and quite a bit cheaper.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

JohnR
Class B

Post by JohnR »

Welcome Bill! Where you from in Indiana? I get out there once in a while to see a good friend in Brownsburg.

I've also noticed the same thing on some rivets and have used the Avery Snap Locs. As was mentioned the tape works just as good, but the Snap locs are handy and last quite a while.
JohnR
RV-7A - Fuselage - SOLD, just not supposed to be
Numbers 6:24 - The LORD bless thee, and keep thee