propeller theory

A place to discuss different propellers and their pros & cons.
728GD
Class E

Post by 728GD »

Keep in mind you do not need to have made a decision until purchasing the finishing kit and or engine. As far as weight and balance with a CS, I placed my ELT under the horizontal and vertical fairing and moved my battery box about 2 feet aft of the firewall centered on the floor. Makes a nice break between the passenger and pilot, ie. my wife can not play footsy with me while I am trying to land...
Golf Delta

l & d lewis
Class E

Post by l & d lewis »

We've chosen the 8A, and as in our current plane my wife just hits me in the back of the head if I do something wrong. We haven't picked an engine and prop combination because like avionics they are changing so fast, who knows what will be available. I was looking at Continental's diesel when I was at their factory, 200hp, watercooled, 3000 TBO, and expected 25-30% less $ then their current 360. I'm not greatly concerned, but availability and price of 100LL in the future might be an issue. Alternative fuels might be worth considering........Larry
Larry & Debbie Lewis
RV8A - Empennage Complete
Wings Here, Hangar finished
N128LD - Reserved

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Continental's diesel? Say what?
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

l & d lewis
Class E

Post by l & d lewis »

Continental has a skymaster test bed airplane fitted with a 4 cylinder diesel motor on the front. A number of companies are experimenting with deisels because they burn jet fuel. This particular engine has full FADEC control which drives the price up considerably, but the engine without FADEC should be quite reasonable. Lots of torque. I saw it at the factory about a year and a half ago, they were working on getting it certified. Its pretty slick.
Larry & Debbie Lewis
N128LD - Reserved

Snap
Class D

Post by Snap »

Now I am interested. I need more info. Sounds like another alt engine that we could all use. Remember what I said before? 'NO MAGS'
This is the thing that we all aspire to have. Two less things to go wrong and overhaul.
RV-7A Emp
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

l & d lewis
Class E

Post by l & d lewis »

If you go to Continental's web site and type in GAP in the search the engine should come up. GAP stands for General Aviation Propulsion. It was a program funded by NASA to look into alternative fuel engines for general aviation airplanes. Its a 2 stroke diesel, turns at 2200rpm (3 bladed prop), direct drive, suposedly quieter, more fuel efficient, less poluting. They're also looking at building 6&8 cylinder versions, and should be available in a couple more years. I didn't get to see it run, and they won't let you take pictures. (there is a photo on the web)
Larry & Debbie Lewis
N128LD - Reserved

Snap
Class D

Post by Snap »

I did a search and found this.

Enjoy all. :)
http://www.tcmlink.com/about/briefs.html
RV-7A Emp
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Altoq

Post by Altoq »

Take a look at this Build site, <http://www.rv-8.com/Prop.htm>. It has some information you might want to considerbefor you make up your minds about what kind of prop.