Preview Plans

This is a forum to ask questions regarding the different models of Vans Aircraft. If you are having problems deciding which one to build, this is the place to go.
Terry B
Class G

Preview Plans

Post by Terry B »

Been lurking but still here. About to order (RV 9):

1. Info Pack

2. DVD

3. Preview Plans

Is there anything else at an early stage that I would benefit from ordering?

Terry "Bear" B.

N200PF
Class D

Post by N200PF »

THE TAIL!!! Go for it Terry! You know you want to! :mrgreen:
Peter Fruehling
RV-7 Wings -> QB Fuse in the shop!
North Oaks, MN -> Home Base (KMIC)

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

The empennage kit!!!

Terry, good choice!

That stuff would be a good start. If you could pull it off, get the emp kit. This way the plans won't be so intimidating.

Go for it!

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

JohnR
Class B

Post by JohnR »

If you get the preview plans before getting any parts don't let the plans overwhelm you. Once you get parts to look at and touch at the same time as looking at the plans it all comes together. The actual process of building does remind me of when I used to build control line planes years ago. Except a lot more fun and rewarding.

Go for it!
JohnR
RV-7A - Fuselage - SOLD, just not supposed to be
Numbers 6:24 - The LORD bless thee, and keep thee

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

Tools! :luv: You need tools! Lots of tools! Precious tools! :rofl:

Ahem. I like tools. :oops:
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I say those three are the perfect first step. Look through the PP but dont get overwhelmed. Just remember its a bunch of little puzzles tha make an airplane. See if you can visit a local builder while you are at it.

Once you get that done then looking into one of hte "Training kits" or the tail.

Go for it :thumbsup:

- John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

RV7Factory
Beanpolt

Attend a class

Post by RV7Factory »

You can't really order it, but what about attending a SportAir Sheetmetal or RV assembly workshop.
Brad Oliver
RV-7 | Livermore, CA
RV7Factory.com

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

Terry, I bought what you have listed as well as the two practice kits, then while I waited for that, I bought lots of tools. After playing with the pactice kits I was convinced I could do this and bought the emp kit about a month later so I could look at real parts while I went though the preview plans and practiced/screwed up/finished my 'practice kits'. Jump in.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

Terry B
Class G

Post by Terry B »

Not too intimidated but sure I will freak at the plans.

http://www.vintageaviation.org/aircraft ... 50205.html

In the link above, I am helping to reconstruct some wings on a (full scale) DRI Tri-plane. That is me wearing the AOPA cap. Also in the Photo are the mid and lower wings. I learned to iron and rivstitch the top wing after we got teh covering applied to the top wing. Had a real good teacher named Jim (not pictured).

http://www.vintageaviation.org/aircraft ... 50619.html

In the link above, we are working on installing the LeRhone Radial engine for the first time (I'm the head behind the cylinders).

http://www.vintageaviation.org/aircraft ... 60910.html

I wasn't around this day but it shows the plane taking shape (I did make the bungies for the landing gear. I have pictures of me and some of the others making teh aluminum fuel tank (first experience riveting) and my first introduction to pro-seal (nasty stuff).

All of the wings have been fitted, incidence set and reinstalling teh radial for the last time, we hope.

Two of the museums planes were in the movie "The aviator" and Roger had two brief scenes in the movie as well. He and some of the planes were also in "The Great Waldo Pepper".

Most of my experience has been on wooden airplanes from making a new skid for a Cannuk (Canadian version of the Jenny) and working on a SE5A.

Im very mechanically inclined. Grew up with my father racing dirt track and eventually building all teh engines for his car. My biggest fear or apprehension is the avionics. That is one area I have no knowledge with.

Enough already. Plans ordered, shop plans getting closer to the top of my honey-do list. Couple more things on the house to complete then I will order the tail kit.

Still thinking about the third wheel but that is for discussion further down the road.

Bear

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

You've got nothing to worry about given what you have already been exposed to, a place to work, lots of neat new tools, and you are on your way.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

RV7Factory
Beanpolt

Post by RV7Factory »

Terry B wrote:Still thinking about the third wheel but that is for discussion further down the road.
I am sure Chad (aka WeatherVane) can help you with this decision. :mrgreen:

Sorry Chad, I couldn't resist!
Brad Oliver
RV-7 | Livermore, CA
RV7Factory.com

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Some people go this way...some people go that way...yet still others go this way...and then there are those that go that way...

:lol: :roll:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

Terry B
Class G

Post by Terry B »

That helps, LoL.... Decision almost made. Gonna try to bum a ride in a 9 if I can find one in the area. Want to see what ground handeling is like. Only trike I have experienced is a sweet 7A here Austin. But got awhile before decision has to be finalized.

Like I said, been lurking for about a year. Hopefully picking ya'lls brain soon and adding my own experience for others to learn from.

Bear

And my dsecision about a 9 vs 7, well low time pilot, and longer cross-countries with a more stable fligh platform. But then again, still have time to change my mind before sheet metal is ordered.
:bang:
There I go again.........................

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

Chad, you can take heart :?. Not all that wander are lost.

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Yeah! I feel like I have a protoget! Just messin' with ya Terry! :lol:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

Terry B
Class G

Post by Terry B »

Well, the third wheel decision may have had a major influencing factor today. As a FYI, my wife and I purchased a 1946 Aeronca Champ (7AC) today. It is a project plane, but it is almost back to the recovering stage.

Included was:

New wood kit (installed)
New windshield
Complete new interior
2 sets of new 4-point harness
Complete covering system (cloth, chemicals and paint)
New or refurbished instruments
75 hp engine with 50 hours (new slick mags, impulse coupler and new metal prop)
New glass wheel pants, split glass nose bowl (origional bowl is in premo shape) and new glass wing tips (like the Citabria's tips) if I choose to remove the factor bowed wing tips.
To many other new or refurbished items to mention.

We should pick it up next weekend, and then the fun begins. Made a friend (before I found out he is a CFI) and he has offered to teach me to fly with the little wheel behind me.

Enough for now, just wanted to let yall know that I was not stagnate and was still around (and yes, I still going to build a RV and now leaning more towards the 7).

Terry

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Terry, that is AWESOME!!!

Yesterday, I took the Aeronca Chief for a long cross country!

3 hours and 4 landings at 3 different airports!

The Chief is very close to the Champ. You are gonna LOVE IT!

Good choice in going with the -7, too!

:wink: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!