For our RV-12 builders out there

This is a forum to ask questions regarding the different models of Vans Aircraft. If you are having problems deciding which one to build, this is the place to go.
svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

I'm not putting this in the RV-12 forum because it's not specifically RV-12 related. But the experience did give me a taste of what you RV-12 builders can expect.

I've always gone to the local big boy's FBO for my BFR's because you never know when you'd like to fly a Cessna 172. My only complaint about that is that it's like driving a truck with manual steering after flying my RV-4. So for this BFR I wanted a change of pace. I called up these guys: http://www.californiasportaviation.com/ up at Lodi (1O3) and arranged for a BFR in one of their light sport planes.

I did an hour of ground time and then it came time for our hour of flying. We did the flight in one of these: http://www.evektor-aircraft.com/

All I can say is wow! If RV-12 performance is similar or better than this thing you RV-12 guys are in for a treat. After starting the engine I kept having to look at the prop to make sure it was running. I couldn't feel the heavy vibrations or hear the engine noise that I'm used to. That Rotax was one smooth engine. No mixture to worry about, no carb heat to mess with, just one vernier throttle (and a choke.)

I lined it up and put in full throttle and that little 100 HP Rotax pulled that plane forward every bit as quickly as my RV. We rolled MAYBE 300 feet, I pulled the nose up and it just flew. We got up to about 2500' and I throttled back to about 4200 RPM. I kept having to resist the urge to throttle back up because the engine was so quiet and smooth. You could actually remove your headset and carry on a conversation without screaming.

After some air work we flew back to Lodi and shot some landings. The one thing I found hard to get used to was the deck angle when landing. That thing approached steep. I'm used to a much shallower approach angle. Still, 3 notches of flaps and the thing just basically flew straight at the ground and flared and landed just as nice as the RV.

So anyway, all I really wanted to report on was my first time behind a Rotax engine. The RV-12 guys (and their wives, girlfriends, dogs, etc) are going to love that engine.
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Sounds like a lot of fun Scott! I don't have any LS time, but I'd LOVE to try one out one of these days...

Thanks for the report!

8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

weezbad
Class C

Post by weezbad »

be gratefull you have somewhere to rent from. around here the state just bought the local FBO and no more rentals. :cry: who cares though right? next week i will have my own plane at the airport. :lol: i'll just have to finish putting the big parts together and get a DAR and some transistion training. :wink:

maybe i'll buy a finished 12 and sell the 7...all i really want to do is fly in the late afternoons anyway. :oops:
william....don't let it beat you down, you are stronger than you think.

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

It's not a good time to sell anything. Ask me how I know. :evil:

That little SportStar was every bit as responsive as any RV. Plus with 32 gallon tanks, and 4gph fuel burn, you could spend the whole day up there. Or as long as your bladder will hold out. But at $90 grand, I don't think I'll be buying one.
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

TomNativeNewYorker
Class D

Post by TomNativeNewYorker »

Since all my 23 years aviation experience is all military, can someone define the "BFR" and "LS" acronyms in this thread for me?

TomNativeNewYorker
Class D

svanarts wrote:with 32 gallon tanks, and 4gph fuel burn, you could spend the whole day up there. Or as long as your bladder will hold out.
http://www.chiefaircraft.com/airsec/Air ... fTube.html

weezbad
Class C

Post by weezbad »

LS= light sport aircraft

BFR= bi annual flight review.
william....don't let it beat you down, you are stronger than you think.

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

TomNativeNewYorker wrote:
svanarts wrote:with 32 gallon tanks, and 4gph fuel burn, you could spend the whole day up there. Or as long as your bladder will hold out.
http://www.chiefaircraft.com/airsec/Air ... fTube.html
Ah the old Texas catheter. Sort of.
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

TomNativeNewYorker
Class D

Similar to what is equipped in the aircraft I work on. Basically a funnel with a 'press to open' valve at the bottom of it and a tube that ports the waste coffee outside the fuselage. Pilots really hated it when the valve getss clogged up and they have to dump the product on the carpet at their feet, but it usually got clogged from aircrew using the funnel to spit their dip/chewing tobbaco into.

Two in the cockpit for the pilot and co pilot, and one in the rear for the radar operators. They used to have a glorified trash can with a toilet seat on it too, but that was removed so they could stuff more avionics boxes in the plane.

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

TomNativeNewYorker wrote:Similar to what is equipped in the aircraft I work on. Basically a funnel with a 'press to open' valve at the bottom of it and a tube that ports the waste coffee outside the fuselage. Pilots really hated it when the valve getss clogged up and they have to dump the product on the carpet at their feet, but it usually got clogged from aircrew using the funnel to spit their dip/chewing tobbaco into.

Two in the cockpit for the pilot and co pilot, and one in the rear for the radar operators. They used to have a glorified trash can with a toilet seat on it too, but that was removed so they could stuff more avionics boxes in the plane.
Wait, they told me those were auxiliary oxygen masks! No wonder they smelled so bad. :lol:
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

1:1_Scale
Class D

Post by 1:1_Scale »

svanarts wrote:
TomNativeNewYorker wrote:Similar to what is equipped in the aircraft I work on. Basically a funnel with a 'press to open' valve at the bottom of it and a tube that ports the waste coffee outside the fuselage. Pilots really hated it when the valve getss clogged up and they have to dump the product on the carpet at their feet, but it usually got clogged from aircrew using the funnel to spit their dip/chewing tobbaco into.

Wait, they told me those were auxiliary oxygen masks! No wonder they smelled so bad. :lol:
EEEWWWWWWwwwwww........Image
Kelly
RV-7 Empennage done, wings done, fuselage to QB stage
1947 Stinson108-1 flying

CaptainWacoal
Class G

Post by CaptainWacoal »

Thanks Scott for your pilot report and your words of praise for the Rotax engine and the light-sport category, in general. I just ordered the empennage kit for the RV-12, and it was a big move, committing oneself to a particular model and engine. It's not like you can easily change your mind and return it to Sears! I am NOT suffering "buyer's remorse", not in the least, but you cannot help wondering if you made the right choice. Your words of encouragement DEFINITELY help in that respect. Again, Thanks Scott!javascript:emoticon(':)')
-JK-
-Retired FAA/A.T.C.: SFO Tower & Bay Approach (renamed NORCAL Approach in 2002)
-Owner of a C-150/150 Texas Taildragger/Aerobat
-RV-12 kit: Empennage, Both Wings, Flight Controls, & Fuselage complete. Working on "Finish Kit"