Elevator Trim (Manual vs Electric)

This is a forum to ask questions regarding the different models of Vans Aircraft. If you are having problems deciding which one to build, this is the place to go.
bmurrish
Class D

Elevator Trim (Manual vs Electric)

Post by bmurrish »

I am curious what type of elevator trim activation others are using. I prefer manual over electric, but have had limited exposure to the vernier control type that comes standard with the kit. I have flown aircraft (mostly twins) that utilized this type of control for rudder trim and really didn't care for it. Is it worth the extra $240 for the electric trim or does the vernier controlled trim work just fine? The check for empennage kit is going in the mail Monday morning, so I need to make the decision soon. Finally going to stop dreaming and start building.

Thanks for your opinion,

Bill Murrish
929BM(Reserved)
RV-8 Preview Plans

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Woohoo, good for you! I chose manual because I wanted simplicity. Ive also found with my limited experience with electric trim that it has a tendancy to move to fast for me. I like to be able to just massage the plane into trim and didnt want to fiddle with switches and stuff. Keep in mind that this is experimental and you can choose a different cable actuation mechanism than the vernier method. That can be decide later though as you wont need that for a long time.
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

hngrflyr
Class E

Post by hngrflyr »

My RV-6 has electric trim. If I would have been the builder, the trim would have been manual. After flying with electric trim, I've gotten used to it and its just fine. I think the wiring and servo are likely lighter in weight than manual trim would be.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

I think the -8 only comes with electric. Need to check Van's site.

Anyhow, I got electric. I figure, it is easier to route a wire to the tail than a cable. The MAC servo isn't hard to figure out. A little head scratching, but it goes together.

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

MY BAD!

It IS available with the crankie trim!

Well, pros and cons?

I guess no fuses to blow with the crankie system.

I understand this is all as obvious as the nose on your face.

Personal favor I guess.

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

arffguy
Class E

Post by arffguy »

Most of the guys I know with electric trim complain that it moves too fast so they end up tapping the button numerous times for awhile to get where they want it. It's kind of annoying to me as the passenger. Matronics sells a device to slow the servo down:

http://matronics.com/governor/index.htm

The folks with manual trim say it is easier to get the trim where you want it faster. Manual trim tabs seem to have more slop when you hold the elevator and wiggle them. I don't know if this makes much difference but seems to be something one of my friends (tech counselor) seems to do to everybody's airplane. The electric trim adds more weight and complexity to the left elevator itself. Plus a little more parts cost. The electric trim also gets rid of the control between the seats just as electric flaps do. I am going with the manual trim myself.

Make sure when you build the left elevator to use the correct control horns on the trim tab too. There is a difference.
Mikey
RV-6A Wings
"If it was easy, everyone would be doing it."

Dan A
Class D

Post by Dan A »

When I got my empenage kit it had the electric trim with it. I used the MAC servo relay pack and buttons on the stick. To take care of the trim speed I installed a variable voltage regulator, Also sold by the servo company and wired up a micro switch triggered by the flap control arm so when the flaps are up the elevator trim is at about half speed and when the flaps are down and you need the faster action on the elevator trim, you have it. I hope that helps tose wanting the electric trim. But the manual trim is more simple to install.
Dan

728GD
Class E

Post by 728GD »

I went with the manual trim. RV's are so light on the controls I really don't think the electric is required. When I trim up, I generally don't have to move the knob more than an 1/8 turn from take off position. It is really sensitive. I also am a firm believer in the kiss approach. If you go with electric make sure you can slow down the servo, and it's just one more thing to fail. You do not need much movement on the trim tab to trim up the airplane.

Dale
Golf Delta

bmurrish
Class D

Post by bmurrish »

Everyone-Thanks for all the useful information. I decided to go with the manual trim. Checks in the mail. :)
Bill Murrish
RV-8 Fuselage

s10sakota
Class E

I need a pic of manual trim

Post by s10sakota »

Hey guys,

I'm getting ready to order the tail kit too and was looking for a thread on manual vs electric.

Does anyone have a picture of manual trim knob in the cockpit? I have no idea what it looks like.

I like the idea of electric but one of my goals for this RV-8 is low cost and simplicity so I may go with manual.

If anyone can post a pic I'd appreciate it!!

Mark
RV-7A Tail Kit - Wings Delivered!
2011 RANS S-6S
www.AircraftStickers.com
www.AeroDraw.com

Joe Parish
Class D

Post by Joe Parish »

If you jump over to the classified section, the RV-7 that is posted for sale(Chad's RV-7) it can been seen in the 2nd & 3rd pics down in between the seats.
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A

s10sakota
Class E

Post by s10sakota »

Great! I see it now, thank you. Electric trim it is for me! :lol:
Mark
RV-7A Tail Kit - Wings Delivered!