How do you guys afford this stuff?

This is a forum to ask questions regarding the different models of Vans Aircraft. If you are having problems deciding which one to build, this is the place to go.
Rod
Class G

Post by Rod »

[Edit by Spike: Content & User Removed]

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Good.

We tried to help and explain, but he kept pushing.

Bye Rod. :wink:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

How do we afford it...I have no idea. I just flew over 1000miles roundtripping it dodging weather and racing to see what Aurora and myself could do.

Can't wait to do it again. :)
Brian
Townsend, MT

RobDob
Class E

Post by RobDob »

That was getting a bit strange to say the least! Good call Spike!
RV8 Flying G-DOBS

mkjprice
Class G

Glad to See!

Post by mkjprice »

I've been lurking for a while, and I am glad to see that the thread author is no longer part of this site. One thing that I think that many people overlook when they look at the pricetag and fixate on cost it the complete satisfaction and total knowledge you have of your airplane. You are the manufacturer, and as such the costs of ownership will be much less than a certificated on an annual basis. We can do the work on our planes, and put the savings into fuel burn.

If I were making $145k a year (which I doubt was happening) I would have and 8 and a 10, but I live in a cheaper part of the country. I appreciate the users on these forums ( I am on VAF too) and the input and discussions are an incredible source of information, and is in no small part the reason why I will start building my 8 next in the spring.

I am fine driving my 1999 Camry that I have to hit the starter with a hammer to start some mornings, because, I will have the money to build my airplane, and the fact is, my Camry does the same job as BMW.

Thanks to everyone on here!
Mike Price
"The longer I live , the more I realize that sense is not common".

prestwich
Class D

Post by prestwich »

It's been a useful thread for me, also. I don't have to whack the starter on my '98 Avalon, but it does have 245k on it and isn't as pretty as it was when I bought it with 110k on it. Also "gets me from A to B" as my father used to say, and I'm one who would rather have an airplane than a new car.

I started the tailkit of a -7 several years ago, but at the time I didn't have the money or the time or the space to build, nor the money to own and fly. Now my situation is changing and airplane ownership is no longer an impossible dream. I now have more money, more time, and the means to acquire more space. Still doubt whether a financial adviser would approve, but I'm not planning to consult one.

I actually assumed that I was the only guy around here making less than 100k, and it was reassuring to learn that I'm not. The troll may have been a troll, but the honesty of the replies was refreshing, enlightening, and encouraging.

As far as my status, I may go back to building the -7, or I may take over a partially built -12 kit that I have an inside lead on. Or, I might even buy an old production piece of tin. But whatever happens, I'm moving closer to a lifelong aspiration to get my ass in the air. Although I've been AWOL, I'm happy that the RBs are still here.

cbkillion
Class G

Post by cbkillion »

I actually assumed that I was the only guy around here making less than 100k
Boy I wish your assumption were true! :)
- Brett
...Fuselage...?

www.rv8plane.com

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

There are an awfull lot of us that would like an income in excess of $60000!

itisgood
Class E

Post by itisgood »

I am one that is a <100000 by a shot.
Dave

bruceh
Class D

Post by bruceh »

It is not how much you make. It is how much you spend. :mrgreen:
I'm at the finish kit stage and doing pay as I go. Progress has slowed down considerably as I look to buying the avionics and engine/prop. Still have plenty of things to work on.
Bruce Hill
RV-9A N5771H flying over 1100 hours!
Build Log at http://www.overthehills.com/RV-9A-Project
Blog at https://flyingoverthehills.wordpress.com/
EAA Tech Counselor, A&P

smittysrv
Class D

Post by smittysrv »

I guess I've turned into a "new age'r" in my old age.

I wanted to build an RV. I didn't have a job that would pay for such a thing, so I ordered my tailkit anyway. I decided not to worry how to pay for it, but just enjoy the process.

As I approached the end of each stage (tailkit, wings, fuselage), the money appeared to pay for it (without using a credit card).

It's been a long and rewarding journey. Engine ordering time? No prob, I have the money.

"If you build it, they will come." Dollars, that is...

mkjprice
Class G

Glad to know -

Post by mkjprice »

That you can be what most people would consider poor, and still own and airplane. I don't know why this thread keep coming back to me, but I thought about the $145k number again while driving home from the Halloween Party yesterday. That works out to roughtly $12k a month in income. That would leave me with more than $9k a month in income leftover after all the bills and needs are taken care of. At that rate, you could have an RV paid for in as little as 6 months or a really nice one in still less than a year.

I would love to have the problem of complaining its too expensive with $12k a month income. The way I look at it, a $60k home income in my area is sufficient to own an aircraft. Y'all are right, it comes down to a matter of what is important to you, and your family. There may be times that braces or somthing else is more important than the parts for the plane. Yes Aviation is expensive, but also as pointed out, so are boats, cars, trucks, 4 wheelers, snowmobiles, home theatres, and any other thing we choose to spend our money on. Me - I will just make sure to keep a good hammer in my car for the starter, and work my way towards my dream with the rest of my friends on here.

Thanks for the motivational comments, and the encouragement. I love the comraderie that the aviation community has, and the brotherhood we share.

With that - I am back to work!
Mike Price
"The longer I live , the more I realize that sense is not common".

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

I wish that I was as wealthy as people think I am!

I just plunked down the cake for the firewall forward kit today! I am ALOT poorer now!

But I will have some new stuff to play with!

:wink: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

itisgood
Class E

Post by itisgood »

John, did you order the firewall forward form Van's?
I have been debating to order, I was not sure if I would use all that comes with it. Do they give a detailed list?
Dave

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

Dave, Email Vans and ask for a firewall forward list for the engine package you have. then you can go through it and cross off the items you don't want.

I eliminated the throttle, mixture & prop cables. no oil cooler or oil lines, and a few other things
Brian
Townsend, MT

CaptainWacoal
Class G

How Can You Guys Afford This Stuff

Post by CaptainWacoal »

Rod, my response is not meant to put you down, not in the least, but your original sentence about being "new to aviation" speaks VOLUMES! Lawyers and product liability laws, and deep-pocket payouts... THEY are why aviation is so expensive!!! Experimental aviation has done A LOT to minimize this because parts need not be TSO'd, but just watch daytime TV. There are lawyers around every corner just WAITING to sue somebody, for anything and everything! Case in point; Joe Blow does something stupid like scud running (flying below clouds that get increasingly lower and lower) and ends up, thru nobody's fault but Joe's, buying the farm. Joe's wife sees a daytime TV ad from some ambulance-chasing lawyer, and hires him. Joe is dead because of his stupidity, but Joe's lawyer sues EVERYBODY... Cessna, because they built the airplane, Lycoming because they built the engine, Hartzel because they built the propeller, Garmin, because they built the GPS, etc., etc. THIS is why aviation is so expensive. And these shyster lawyers can sue these companies for 18 years!!! (used to be an unlimited number of years until product liability laws recently changed). Aviation will always be expensive. If you can't stand the heat, the kitchen is the wrong place to hang out! Sorry if the truth hurts.
-JK-
-Retired FAA/A.T.C.: SFO Tower & Bay Approach (renamed NORCAL Approach in 2002)
-Owner of a C-150/150 Texas Taildragger/Aerobat
-RV-12 kit: Empennage, Both Wings, Flight Controls, & Fuselage complete. Working on "Finish Kit"