Autopilot or not?

This is a forum to ask questions regarding the different models of Vans Aircraft. If you are having problems deciding which one to build, this is the place to go.
s10sakota
Class E

Autopilot or not?

Post by s10sakota »

Obviously I'm about 67 years away from getting to this point, but I'm wondering if it's worth it to install an autopilot?

Probably 90% of my flying will be flights less than an hour, but is it worth it to have an autopilot on the long flights?

Has anyone else debated this? Did you install one or not?

Looking for thoughts.... :)
Mark
RV-7A Tail Kit - Wings Delivered!
2011 RANS S-6S
www.AircraftStickers.com
www.AeroDraw.com

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Yes Yes Yes.

The person who buys it from you will be looking for it. And really, even if its a 30 minute 'putt' as Patti calls them, its nice to have otto to be able to look outside.

Then there is the reason that if you do something stupid like drop your chart in the luggage area and have to go fish it out its nice to have a second set of hands, etc.

Just do it :)

Spike
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Mark, I am gonna do it! Most people do.

That being said, the -6 I fly now DOES NOT have one and I DO NOT miss it!

I have flown this plane from full to damn near empty and didn't miss the servo one bit!

Once they are trimmed out, they do hold altitude and heading fairly well. Not as well as the Cherokee 6 but not bad at all.

Sooooo it comes down to this; do you want an autopilot?

I do! I am putting one in my -7 because I am a self-professed button pushin' cowboy and I like bells and whistles!

To each his own. Some people like things simple...

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

I've got 120hrs on 155BK. I installed a A/P. I left it disconnected during most of phase 1 to ensure it wasn't influencing control feedback. Later I hooked it up and tried to test it...didn't work and haven't troubleshot it yet. So at this point it is wasted equipment and weight.

I've done a few long XC's and guess I should get it working, but I actually enjoy flying. It would be nice when at 12500 2hrs away from the next turn or descent.
Brian
Townsend, MT

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Mark,

I pre-wired and installed the brackets during my RV build for the autopilot. I didn't want to spend the money up front for an autopilot as funds were tight for the build. Once I was well out of Phase I, I found a used TruTrak autopilot on the VAF classifieds for a bargain. Installing it was a piece of cake since all the wiring and brackets were in place. I find having an autopilot enjoyable to have on longer trips as it allows you to have greater situational awareness. However, by no means is is necessary.

Long story short, install the bracket and wire for an autopilot today, and decide on one later.
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

RV7A
Class E

Post by RV7A »

Now that my main and rear spars are complete, the fun begins. So, this got me thinknig about the autopilot again.

I definitely want to install an autopilot. What kind of prep will I need to do while I'm building the wings for the servo?

Do I need to pick an autopilot system now so that I can buy the servos and mounts now and install them? Or do the autopilots have standard size servos and any mount will work? And if so, do I get a mount kit or something from Vans?

How did we ever do anything like build airplanes before the internet?? :lol:

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Mark,

I didn't do anything to prep my wings for an AP server other than run conduit. I used the same conduit for the wingtip wiring for the autopilot wiring. When the time came to mount the wings to the fuselage for good, I ran the autopilot wiring. I made a hole in the conduit right around where the bellcrank is. Worked perfect. I was easily able to install the AP bracket well after my first flight.
Mike Bullock

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

And for reference, just because we like to confuse people, I did it the exact opposite. :mrgreen: I knew which auto pilot I was going with and what lighting package, etc. I had all of the wiring and pitot runs in the wings when I closed them including the servos and the brackets.

It was pretty easy to do with the wing open :)

John

DaAV8R
Class G

Another consideration?

Post by DaAV8R »

I have had autopilots in my certified cross country airplanes. I am on the fence for the RV-8. I haven't heard much discussion as to whether the autopilot effects the feel of the plane. Any thoughts on this?

Do all the servos completely disengage to eliminate control feel issues? Certain brands of servos?

Just curious as this is one of my concerns.

Robert

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

4 months and several long XC's after I posted my initial thoughts on A/P.

figure out which servo's you need and put the mounts in place. Mine is broke and now wish it were working. I hand fly everything and enjoy it...BUT last week when I went to Utah the smoke haze was getting almost IFR. A wing leveler would have been real nice when there is no horizon.
Brian
Townsend, MT

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Re: Another consideration?

Post by bullojm1 »

DaAV8R wrote:I have had autopilots in my certified cross country airplanes. I am on the fence for the RV-8. I haven't heard much discussion as to whether the autopilot effects the feel of the plane. Any thoughts on this?

Do all the servos completely disengage to eliminate control feel issues? Certain brands of servos?

Just curious as this is one of my concerns.

Robert
Robert,

I have a TruTrak autopilot, and when on the ground you can feel the stepper motor resistance on the ailerons and elevator. However, once airborne, any resistance goes away. I flew my RV for about 55 hours before I installed an AP. While hand flying, I can't tell any difference with the AP installed.
Mike Bullock

DaAV8R
Class G

Another question

Post by DaAV8R »

Warning: Thread drift

Thanks for the reply Mike. I have another control feel question. I am fitting the seat structure on my -8 and fit the manual aileron trim last night. What are everyones thoughts on the feel of the bias springs? Are they noticeable? I like the simplicity of the system and a bias spring system is what most all the Bonanza's use but again I am concerned about polluting the control system. It isn't noticeable in a Bo but the ailerons have a bungee interconnect with the rudders. It would be a shame to add friction to a pushrod system. Thoughts?

Robert

DaAV8R
Class G

Another question

Post by DaAV8R »

Warning: Thread drift

Thanks for the reply Mike. I have another control feel question. I am fitting the seat structure on my -8 and fit the manual aileron trim last night. What are everyones thoughts on the feel of the bias springs? Are they noticeable? I like the simplicity of the system and a bias spring system is what most all the Bonanza's use but again I am concerned about polluting the control system. It isn't noticeable in a Bo but the ailerons have a bungee interconnect with the rudders. It would be a shame to add friction to a pushrod system. Thoughts?

Robert

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Robert,

I have the electric aileron trim on my RV-7 and I can't notice any effect it has on the feel of the controls. The electric trim works with springs just as the manual one does, except it uses a servo instead of the meta handle. Everyone I know with the manual aileron trim really likes its simplicity and functionality. Hey, if you don't like it, it's easy enough to take out!
Mike Bullock

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Feeling of the autopilot servos I think is primarily a function of which servo you have. I was a big fan of the Trio system as their servos actually disconnected when not actively driving.

Spike

BSwayze
Class C

Post by BSwayze »

I did like Mike did and I'm very happy with my decisions. It was during the wing build that I looked into autopilots and decided which brand I was going to eventually go with, assuming I ever did. Then I bought just the brackets for the servos and installed them as I built. It's cheap and easy at this point of the build to just put in the brackets (and conduit, too, if you choose). Later on, you can fly a little, or a lot, before making the plunge and getting the autopilot. Like Mike did! Or you may never get it. But the option is always there and you didn't spend a small fortune.

I watch the classifieds for bargains. One day I found a guy who was selling just one servo. But it was brand new, never used. I bought it for half the price of a new one and saved about $500. Several years went by, and just recently Stein was selling some stuff and he listed a single servo, never used but it had a cosmetic scratch, for about 1/3 the price of a new one. I jumped on it! So if you're patient and watch, you can save big bucks and get what you want.
Bruce Swayze
Portland, Oregon
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
RV-7A Working on Firewall Forward

cnpeters
Class E

Post by cnpeters »

I wholeheartedly agree with at least installing a conduit and wire, or as a minimum, a wire pull through cord (which you should have anyway in case you want to add another wire run down the road). With the brackets, you will have to decide on your servo choice now, though. Tru-Trak and Dynon share the same mount, I believe. But, in case you decide on a Trio or something else, it is not too much pain to re-do the bracket through the wing access panel. But that lends me to argue one should not rivet their lower wing skins until the end of the project when ready for final assembly.
I put in brackets for Tru-trak/Dynon, conduit with servo wiring bundle I bought (maybe from Stein). That way, you will have easier access should you want to change some things (like I have watched lighting mature from halogen to HID to LED during my, uhh, extended build).
It sounds like you have decided on doing an autopilot - another point in favor is a backup in emergencies - trouble shoot while letting the autopilot fly the a/c. Also, can act as an alternative heading/attitude source should something fail on your glass (why I am debating not having an integrated autopilot by the PFD, unless I go dual ADHARS).
Best... .
Carl Peters
RV-9A
N92RV (reserved)
Fuselage
http://www.mykitlog.com/cnpeters/

RV7A
Class E

Post by RV7A »

Just yesterday I received my Dynon wing servo and mount. It's a beauty! I'm using all Dynon since I am a registered Dynon dealer.

I will install the mount servo, and wire now before I rivet the skins to the wing. Seems like a good idea to do it now while everything is wide open.