RV-7 vs. Legacy FG

This is a forum to ask questions regarding the different models of Vans Aircraft. If you are having problems deciding which one to build, this is the place to go.
cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

i like that!! "friends don't let friends build plastic planes." that is great! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

mustang
Class E

Post by mustang »

Peter,
I've just read through this thread again and one thing about your original post jumps out at me. The two aircraft you are comparing are to some extent, apples and oranges. The glass ship will be more slippery and have a higher approach and landing speed than the RV. You need to be sure that this is OK for you as a pilot. Personally, I have found the RV's a handfull in the speed regime and I come from an extensive background of heavy iron and Pitts Special experience to boot. I have practiced a lot with my friends RV-4 flying solo, and I have never been able to come close to Van's figures for landing distances. With my airline background, I am able to nail my approach speeds precisely enough, but can never approach Van's landing distance figures without a headwind.

The Lancair will be more of a speedster than the RV, and harder to slow down. Probably, you will find yourself loathe to land on grass strips with the Lancair. I think the question miight come down to whether or not you are willing to trade the versatility of the RV for the extra speed of the more focused Lancair. If you look at the speed range of both aircraft, they both have a similar numerical value from stall to VNE, it's just that the Lancair has moved the whole range further up the speed scale from the bottom to the top speed. If this is worth it to you then have at it!

Cheers, Pete
Peter Marshall
Newbie RV-8 builder.

You wanna draw, ....against the fastest rivet gun in the West??? LOL