Up front or in the back

This is a forum to ask questions regarding the different models of Vans Aircraft. If you are having problems deciding which one to build, this is the place to go.
Eric
Class G

Post by Eric »

Thanks for the reply Steve...

Hmmmm "sell a kid for $1,800 (tag, tax, title, etc.) and send off for a tail kit." :evil:

Let see I have three...that is really a lot...if I can get $3600 for two...I'd still have one left..huh...what?? :o O HI Hunney...what? Oh just chatting with some new friends on the computer...you know airplane stuff... heh..heh..gulp. I'll be up in a minute...No..no...no...you don't want to talk to them....heh..heh..they are real busy building airplanes...

Maybe that won't work.

:wink: As stated earlier, I have tapes on the way...shop being cleaned up (9 feedt wall to wall on the long end, tight but...)

Thanks for the encouragement...still dreaming...still thinking.

Ya know.. three is a lot of kids...HUH?! What? Yes dear I coming!

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

Eric
Class G

Post by Eric »

Steve,

You sound like you might be a great contact for future information. You would not by chance be located in the midwest, are you? I would like to see an 8 project under way and talk with someone who has "been there." Not that I would presume to just drop in..Hmmm...I guess I just did. :evil:

ES
Eric S.
Been thinking long and hard about an RV8 or 8A. Collected a lot of tools and doing research.

Eric
Class G

Post by Eric »

Busy weekend for me. Special thanks to Capt. John for his work bench plans. I took those and modified the design and built a new bench which ultimately converted my workshop from one that I could not turn around in to one where I now have a 9 ft by 30 inch clear bench and can access all of my tools. :mrgreen: (Before this weekend I could barely walk from one side of the small shop to the other.) Needless to say I was not getting any use out of the space.

On the point of this post, I received feed back from an inquiry from my insurance company and was informed that twheel rates are about 40 percent higher than the nose draggers. :o Does this sound consistant with any other's experiences with insurance rates?

Eric
Eric S.
Been thinking long and hard about an RV8 or 8A. Collected a lot of tools and doing research.

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

sounds about right to me for an average. BUT, they vary SO much depending on who quotes you, time in type, and tailwheel time. i sell airplanes for a living, and deal with insurance a lot.

check with jim pappas. he owns pappas insurance agency and he is a member here. jim is a great guy and will do his best to help you out. he's also building, so he speaks our language.

here's his site:
http://www.pappasinsurance.com/

8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Eric, You are welcome. I wish I could take credit for the plans but, as you know... I just pass 'em along.

I got a quote from Jim, and he does check in here. The TW cost isn't much more than the NW cost with a few hours under your belt.

I say it is a small price to pay in order to fly tour dream plane. After all, that is what this is all about. If you are building the plane you want to fly now (with your current level of experience) you won't be happy later. Build the plane you want to fly (or at least THINK you will want to fly) later!

8) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

surface warrior
Class G

3rd Wheel Location

Post by surface warrior »

Hello everyone. Like many before me, I'm still trying to decide how I want my RV configured. I've read all the debates about 3rd wheel on the front or back.

I would like to know from those of you who have already made this decision, and are flying your wonderful RVs, if you had it to build over, would you change your configuration, and why?

I think this debate may help me finally decide about where to put my 3rd wheel. :?

Thanks,

Charlie
N827CB reserved

P.S. I have no TW time. However, I'm not letting that determine the location of my 3rd wheel. I had never flown an airplane before I learned how, and I had never flown IMC before I learned how. I can learn how to fly a TW.

P.S.S. After 2-years, and reviewing both preview plans for the RV-7 and RV-9, I finally decided to build the RV-7 over the RV-9. Bigger engine--more speed! 8)

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

Charlie-

Where are you based in Indy? I fly out of metro (KUMP) - have a skyhawk based there.
I've got a grand total of 3.1 tailwheel time - all in a friend's C-140. I like the challenge, and am building an -8.
The way I look at it, build what you want, get good training, and you'll be fine. There are LOTS of TW RV's flying, and its not like the things are crashing and looping off the runway left and right.

Send me a PM - there are a couple of other guys in the Indy area that are interested in visiting and seeing the project - I'm in the middle of selling the house and moving (to a better RV workshop ... I mean house) so we're trying to work out a time.

Thomas
-8 wings

surface warrior
Class G

3rd Wheel Location

Post by surface warrior »

Thomas,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm located at the Former Fort Benjamin Harrison on Indy's Eastside.

I like your advice, and especially like the looks of those TW RVs. 8)

I'll send you a PM.

Thanks,
Charlie
N493TC (reserved)

Cherokee Driver
Class E

Post by Cherokee Driver »

I wish to thank all of you that replied to my post.

While I will be contemplating the location of the third wheel for a while longer, I am happy to announce the arrival of two bouncing baby cardboard boxes into our home. :mrgreen:

The inventory process has begun and I have a long weekend, so I am a happy new builder.

I appreciate this forum as I am sure that I have read every single post at least once and I am impressed with the group's helpful spirit. I know that I have much to learn and it is nice to see the sharing of so much information. Thanks to all of you; whether you have finished, are well along in your dream, or if you are still thinking about the idea of it all. I have to say that I have been dreaming about building for over 12 years and I have finally made the plunge. I am sure those of you that have "been there" may be grinning a knowing smile. Hats off to Spike for creating this great forum.

I'll be back...but for now I need to go un-pack a few things.

Cherokee Driver
[Formerly Eric]

(I had to change my identity due to computer login problems I was having...not because I was hiding from the police... or... trying to hide the boxes from the Mrs!) :evil:

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

WOOHOOO!! congrats eric, ahem, cherokee driver! :wink:

have a GREAT weekend digging in to the project! keep us informed on your progress! 8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

Cherokee Driver
Class E

THANKS CHAD!!!

BTW, I am watching your project closely...thanks for all your posts. For a newbie like me...I learn a ton from your posts and website! I also like the fact that you are a fellow midwesterner...perhaps some day we will meet and I can see your project up close. I am in awe of those east-coasters as well...though the likelyhood of meeting them anytime soon is more remote.

I appreciate your encouragement.

CD (or Eric...I'll respond to both.)
RV-8A
Wing Kit (Slow Build...very slow build)
Home of "Skunk Works, Wisconsin Branch"
"Glacial Pace...but lovin every minute of it!"

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Look at all these peeps from the square states!

:lol:

Charlie is gonna build a -7 TD with a big engine! Weclome to the club Charlie!

:wink:

...and CD, congrats on the new arrival! Word to the wise, what the little lady doesn't know, can't hurt her (or more importantly YOU!)

:goodevil: CJ
RV-7

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

CD,

will womack is in appleton, and he is on this site. just wanted to point out another cheese head that's close by for ya!

thanks for the nice comments about my website! it's a lot of fun to maintain it. i didn't think it would be in the beginning, but i like be able to share what i'm doing, so thanks!

the learning curve is really steep to begin with, then you really pick up what the heck it is you're doing, or should be doing. then, from what i understand, it starts all over again with the wings. new stuff, and less detail in the construction manual. fun, fun!!

are you gonna have any sort of website/builders log?

oh, and you're welcome to come down to normal anytime!!

:)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Captain_John wrote:...and CD, congrats on the new arrival! Word to the wise, what the little lady doesn't know, can't hurt her (or more importantly YOU!)

:goodevil: CJ
i'll second that!! :mrgreen:

...peep from a square state? not me...my state is far from a square!!
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

Cherokee Driver
Class E

Thanks CJ!

Your advice is appreciated...however I am in good shape.

I did not tell her that I ordered the emp. (I wanted it to be a little surprise). It arrived today earlier than expected and she drove in the drive way before I could move the boxes. When she saw them, her eyes opened up and she threw her arms around me in excitement for me and my enthusiasim. I know I am lucky, and am grateful she supports this project. I make some fun of her here for the amusement of the group...but she is a great supporter of my dream. I am truely blessed.

CD
RV-8A

Cherokee Driver
Class E

Chad,

Unfortunately I am not adroit with the computer and I have no knowledge about creating a website. I also have kind of a goofy work schedule which leaves me with little spare time. What time I have I wish to spend on the project; or reading this site!! :) I'll keep those interested in the project up to date here. (Probably in the screwup chronicals!!!) :oops:

As for the learning curve...I know you are right!! Fortunately I have had a long relationship with my old AP/IA who took me under his wing (I worked part time for him several years a while back and he taught me a lot) He recently passed away after 54 years in aviation (He was a Carles Taylor Master Mechanic) and part of my motivation is to build this well in honor of all he has done for me. I get a little sad writing this cause he was a great friend and alot like a second father. If it was not for him I never would have bought my plane and probably would have never had the guts to start a project like this. I know that there wil be choke points and I have some fears about parts of the project {read fiberglass/ canopy/gas tanks}, but honestly this group has given me a lot of hope that there are people out there that I can draw from for help on the little bumps in the road.

I know I will need advise and encouragement as I am not a professional mechanic or a "builder of things." The closest thing I have for skills is the desire to do it, the ability to work on my Cherokee along side a good AP, and the love of learning to do new things. This and a professionaly diagnosed addiction to all things aviation...should get me through.

Thanks again. Eric (oops, Cherokee Driver...whatever...)
RV-8A

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

well, with that experience, you are well ahead of most of us here!

sorry to hear of your loss. it's always sad when a mentor like that passes. memories are great motivators though!!

cleco, drill, deburr, dimple, cleco, rivet....repeat!
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I spit the picture discussion off into its own thread in the Support forums. Lets keep this thread on its intended focus of the little wheel.
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

spike wrote:I spit the picture discussion off into its own thread in the Support forums. Lets keep this thread on its intended focus of the little wheel.
...cause we need to discuss this further.

:banme: CJ
RV-7