Up front or in the back

This is a forum to ask questions regarding the different models of Vans Aircraft. If you are having problems deciding which one to build, this is the place to go.
Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

Eric wrote:Capt. John

Feel free to elaborate. Perhaps I am too ignorant. I was under the impression that the Fuse kit was pre punched. Am I wrong? I was planning on going slow build on the whole project. I think you can enlighten me. Eric
Eric,

The Fuselage kit for the 8 is pre-punched, but not match drilled.
The skins come pre-punched, and you align them and drill them to the bulkheads, longerons, firewall, etc using the Jig to hold everything in place while assembly is done.

The Jig is basically a ladder jig, laid horizontal with crossmembers at each bulkhead position. It's not really hard but a little thought and precision measuring are in order for it to turn out well.

I had roughly 300 hours in a tricycle gear Grumman AA-1B before deciding I want to build and fly an RV-8 tail dragger. I now have 500 Grumman hours, and 45 tail dragger hours. (32 in my RV-4, and about 12 or so in a Citabria) The RV is a much easier taildragger to taxi, and landings are not so bad either.

When I first bought my Grumman, I started out conservative with crosswinds of about 8 to 10 knots. After 5 years of ownership and 500 hours, I felt very comforable with crosswind landing up to 20kts (even did one at 28 kts once) I'm treating the Tailwheel RV's exactly the same, by flying very conservative crosswinds in the beginning and getting a comfort/skill level built up slowly with time and experience.

I can whole heartedly recomend that you "build what you will be happy and comfortable with" and not worry about what others say too much. Just do it, and go get the proper training before you fly. (that's key)

Good luck in whatever you decide to build/fly.
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

Eric wrote:Thanks for the kind welcome. :)

I have enjoyed this site, having read a lot of postings for several days. I like what I heard and want to hear more.

:?: Any low time twheel'ers out their that conquered their apprehensions? I could use the encouragement.

:?: Any 8A'ers that can tell me what the challenges are that may lie under the cowl during construction?

:?: I know the 8 is a little cheaper...is it also easier to build? Or is it insignificant.

I am getting close to making a move. I ordered a stack of construction videos and hope to have a case of diet coke at my side and the video remote in hand soon to learn more about what lies ahead.

Thanks all for your support. Fly safe.

Eric

Eric,

I'm a fairly low time tailwheeler, and after logging 32 hours so far in a co-owned RV-4, I can tell you for me, I made the right decision in building an RV-8 taildragger. It's not that hard, just a little different, and the only thing to remember, is "Your not done flying a taildragger until you've stopped it and shut it off."

You can order and build the tail without having to decide on which type of RV-8 or 8A you want. You can even build the wing kit without having to decide, since both are the same for each. Only when it comes time to order the fuselage kit do you need to decide.

The tail is fairly cheap money to get started with, and I'd recommend you purchase the tail feathers kit first, find a local EAA chapter or someone else who's building or built one, and get started using their guidance.

If you've not had a ride in one yet, then go bum a ride from someone who's flying an 8. One ride is all it took for me to get started building.
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

Cherokee Driver
Class E

Post by Cherokee Driver »

Thanks for the reply Dave, :)

I have in fact started on my emp..It arrived on Friday afternoon. I have much of the rear spar together and am making good progress. Still have more thinking to do about that third wheel, but as you indicate I have a lot of work and learning to do before I have to make the final call on that.

For now, I am glad that there is a good group on this forum to help when needed. :newbie:

Will keep everyone posted.

Cherokee Driver
Eric
RV-8A
Wing Kit (Slow Build...very slow build)
Home of "Skunk Works, Wisconsin Branch"
"Glacial Pace...but lovin every minute of it!"