Trutrak ADI pilot 2

A forum to report your experiences with vendors specific to the homebuilt community.
hunt9791
Class G

Trutrak ADI pilot 2

Post by hunt9791 »

Just installed a Trutrak ADI pilot 2 in my RV-6A and it is a great unit with one problem; someone might be able to help me rectify? When I transmit on any frequency below 132.0 with the Pitch mode engaged I get RF interference causing a pitch down movement. Roll is not affected and in addition there is no problem if I am transmitting above the 132.0 range! I have a belly antenna.....[/b]

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Well, I don't have an answer for you but... what has TruTrack got to say about it?

I imagine you just discovered this and will talk to them tomorrow?

:roll: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

hunt9791
Class G

Post by hunt9791 »

I will send Trutrak an E-mail tomorrow and see what they recommend.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Keep us posted! This is exactly the AP I am looking at.

:) CJ
RV-7

Lorin Dueck
Class D

Post by Lorin Dueck »

I'd like to know too!!
I've already received my ADI Pilot 2 and am about to install the servo's on the wing (before I get them skinned).

Lorin D
9A Wings

hunt9791
Class G

ADI Pilot 2

Post by hunt9791 »

I have about 40 hours on the ADI pilot 2 and it works well, except for the initial problem with it pitching up when altitude hold is engaged and I transmit on the lower frequencies. The factory wanted me to do a watt check n my antenna, which I did. There was no bad reflective power coming back into the wiring. I will see what they recommend next?

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

Is it a proximity issue of any wiring runs ? Are the ADI servo wire runs bundled together with comm antenna coax ? I don't claim to be an expert on this stuff..I"m just asking if it could be a factor.

I have the servos and wire harness in my RV-8, but haven't run the harness or com antenna wiring yet. Keep us posted.
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

hunt9791
Class G

Post by hunt9791 »

To insure there was no interference with the comm antenna and the servo wiring, I made up a temporary comm antenna cable and ran it directly from the antenna to the radio [3 feet] and tried it. Still had the same problem!

hunt9791
Class G

Trutrak ADI pilot 2

Post by hunt9791 »

Last week I sent the controller head back to Trutrak for installation in their factort aircraft for a test hop to see if their set-up has similar interference. It may need some more shielding? More to follow...

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

Thanks for the follow up/status report.

Keep us informed as to the outcome when you hear back from them.
Dave "WS" Rogers
N173DR

hunt9791
Class G

Post by hunt9791 »

Spoke to John Wyatt today at Trutrak and they have sent me a new control head. Internally it has a capacitor .1mf he thinks that should help send the unwanted RF energy to ground. One other rivet banger had a similar problem and he used a 10mf capacitor between the + and - D.C. input to the control head. I should have it installed by early next week for a test hop. Will keep you posted.

hunt9791
Class G

Post by hunt9791 »

Received the new controller and it was 95% better. My old unit must have been the Beta test model. The new one has only minor pitch input on frequencies below 119.0 much better, very manageable. I adjusted my pitch response on the second flight test and when you key the mike it will not induce an altitude change. So I am now happy with its total performance and ready for the upcoming X/C weather...

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

That is great to hear!

Are there any installation "preferences" or areas to avoid that would aid in having a more problem free installation that you can think of?

Maybe running the wires away from stuff or using shielded wire on anything?

Just wondering?

:? CJ
RV-7

hunt9791
Class G

Post by hunt9791 »

The install manual is pretty specific to insure you stay away from any parallel runs with the comm antenna and any of the wiring that goes into the control head. I ran the comm antenna on the left side of the aircraft and the Roll and pitch servo wiring on the right side of the aircraft. Don't forget to keep the control wheel steering wire to the stick also away from the comm antenna.
The shielded wire you use for the comm antenna can be checked with a special meter before install to insure it doesn't leak any RF. Otherwise a straight forward install, except the pitch servo which I had to turn 180 degress from the picture they provided to obtain clearance with the bell crank and the push/pull rod.

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

I decided to do the same thing on the pitch servo.. I understand all that remains is to switch two wires when doing that.

Made sense to me, as I'd rather have the clearance in that area as well.
Dave "WS" Rogers
N173DR

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Split posts off to start another topic.
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl