Is it just my own experience or does Bonaco suck?

A forum to report your experiences with vendors specific to the homebuilt community.
captain_john
Sparky

Is it just my own experience or does Bonaco suck?

Post by captain_john »

Lemme tell ya, all I have gotten from Brett is the run around. Do they not want to do RV brake lines anymore or what?

I called on Tuesday and after being put on hold for 5 minutes Brett finally answered and said that he would call me back soon.

THE NEXT DAY, I called him back. (Strike 1) We talked for a bit and he asked that I send him some pics of my installation. I did that immediately. I was expecting a reply before now. (Strike 2)

Today I called and asked for him. The guy who answered the phone said, "Yup, who's calling"? After telling him who I was he then said no, Brett was away and on a job but I could leave a message.

STRIKE THREE!!!

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!!!

:bsflag: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

I've had the complete opposite experience John...he is hard to get a hold of though. They are extremely busy with race car stuff. I just got my last line from Brett (manifold pressure), and everything has been fine. Gotta be a bit patient, but it's all been good service, and good product.

I've always highly recommended them...

:dunno:

8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

CJ-

I cannot say anything better about Brett or Bonoco from the 2-3 times I have used them. Always very professional to deal with, very prompt with shipment and always returned my calls. What time have you been calling them? I typically called them around 7-8pm EST. Maybe he's busier earlier in the day.
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

I thought that waiting a day for him to call back and two days for an email WAS being patient... especially when he NEVER REPLIED!!!

I always tried him right about now; 5-6PM eastern (afternoons in Pacific time).

:bs: CJ
RV-7

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Not every vendor is going to please every customer...

Patience my friend, patience...I went several days without a call back from Brett too. He's busy man! Brett is a strong customer service guy, he works 14-16 hour days to get stuff done for us RV guys.

Cut some slack Jack...he'll take care of you, just slow down a bit... :popcorn: :thumbsup:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Yah... so has anyone tried Pegasus Racing?

:wink: CJ
RV-7

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Never tried Pegasus personally, but a guy at work building a kit car (and yes, of course we have a competition to who will be finished first) has nothing but great things to say.
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

Lycosaurus
Class G

Post by Lycosaurus »

bullojm1 wrote:Never tried Pegasus personally, but a guy at work building a kit car (and yes, of course we have a competition to who will be finished first) has nothing but great things to say.
It is owned by Chris Heitman, and RV-9A builder. Bought some brake lines for my -9A some years ago. Price and service absolutely impeccable. I would definitely buy again.
Alfio
RV-9A, first flight Dec. 18, 2008
TT (tach) over 800 hrs.
Ottawa, Canada

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

Anyone got the correct length/options for a RV7 firewall to calipers?

I need to order some!
Brantel (Brian Chesteen),
RV12-IS, #121606, N912BC - Building Now!
RV10, #41942, N????? - Project Sold
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB - SOLD

Cherokee Driver
Class E

Post by Cherokee Driver »

captain_john wrote:Yah... so has anyone tried Pegasus Racing?

:wink: CJ
They are located right here in lovely Waukesha County, WI 10 minutes from my home. I stopped in to pick up some of those reduced head rivets a few weeks back. Apparently they have been around a long time. The salesman that helped me also confirmed the owner is an RV builder and was very helpful even knowing I had no interest in racing. I give them an A+.
RV-8A
Wing Kit (Slow Build...very slow build)
Home of "Skunk Works, Wisconsin Branch"
"Glacial Pace...but lovin every minute of it!"

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Well that settles it! I am calling Pegasus!

Tell me, those of you who HAVE bought from Bonaco, what did you pay?

I am just curious. Brett seems like the kind of guy that makes up prices as he goes. I couldn't nail him down on a number for a simple -7 setup. He was like a moving target.

How much did you pay for YOUR brake lines?

:? CJ
RV-7

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

I went Pegasus as well. Mostly just ordered online (the website is pretty well laid out) and got everything I needed for my brake lines straight away.

CJ, just order enought of the hose and the amount of fittings (maybe a couple extra, and I have the tools so we can make up yours together.
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Thanks Dave. I am ordering now.

Hey, have you seen Bonaco's new line of products? Check it out! Pretty nice!!!

(CAUTION: Don't click here if you can't take a joke. It really has nothing to do with brake lines or anything RV at all. I am just poking fun at the company and don't really mean any harm in it)

http://www.bonacoproducts.com/

:lol: CJ
Last edited by captain_john on Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RV-7

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

CJ, c'mon man...that' post really wasn't necessary.

Can I ask nicely that you edit your post? Yeah, funny, haha. But Bonaco is a good company with good people...I've met all of them, and they don't deserve this. I know you don't like them, you had a bad experience, yada yada yada...but everyone else that I know of that has used them has had a fine experience with them, including me. AND Bret is planning to, or is building an RV-7...give 'em a break.

You're like a big brutha around here...which means I gotta say somethin'... :wink:

8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

airguy
Class E

Post by airguy »

Yes, that post was humorous, but I agree it's a little much.

I had a great experience with Bonaco when I was dealing with them on my fuel lines for the transfer pumps on my auxiliary wing tanks - top notch service.

I understand you had a bad experience, and you've voiced your opinion. Get over it and build on.
Greg Niehues
Midland, TX
RV9A - finishing - 90% done, 90% to go
http://websites.expercraft.com/airguy/
Building a 9A with too much fuel and too much engine - should drop dead any minute now. :roll:

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

I'm with you fellers!

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Ok, but I have 2 questions.

One I have already asked; how much did you pay for your lines?

I am looking at the parts to make my own and they seem higher than I think they should be for making your own stuff. I was expecting a much lower cost for my trouble. (That is how I came across the link to the other Bonaco company and it just tickled my fancy.)

Two, how many different pipe sizes are there for pressure lines in a typical project?

I see the brakes use -4 and I think fuel delivery is a -6. Wicked Stick is doing his manifold pressure stuff with a -4 as well.

How many more sizes do I need to concern myself with in making these hoses up if I choose to fab them up here? This information will give me an idea on how much stuff I need to order.

8) CJ
RV-7

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

captain_john wrote: (CAUTION: Don't click here if you can't take a joke. It really has nothing to do with brake lines or anything RV at all. I am just poking fun at the company and don't really mean any harm in it)
Figured something like that was coming... :roll: :wink:

Are you doing full brake lines from the pedals to the calipers, or just interior lines? I paid $49.34 for interior brake lines for ONE side...I didn't do pax brakes.

Pipe sizes...you're gonna have -3 -4 -5 -6 I think. I'd have to check to verify, but I think fuel is -5, and oil lines are -6. I have -4 for MP as well. The brake master cylinders are -3's IIRC...
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Hey, I call them as I see them!

Anyways, I just ordered the components to make my own aeroquip hoses from www.pitstopusa.com and the way I see it based upon your info and the price that Machineman paid, you really don't save anything by making your own.

I ordered 20' of hose so there will be lots left over to do other lines as needed. I will just have to order the appropriate hose ends for whatever job that I will be doing at that time.

I will let you know how this hose-making process pans out for me.

Spike, I noticed that we are lacking a plumbing category.

What do you think about adding it in? I will post up some details there later for others to view.

8) CJ
RV-7

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

I am paying $68 for the two long lines that go from the bulhead fittings on the firewall down to the calipers. Stock locations for the fittings on my 7.

This is for Teflon with the clear protective coating on the outside.

I can't remember what I paid for the interior lines from the master cylinders to the res and the firwall. That was several years ago now.

I made my fuel and vent lines from the tubing that Vans supplied.

Brett just emailed me the quote for the additional lines last week. I emailed him and got a response the same day. He even followed up yesturday to make sure I got the email. He remembered me from the original order way back there.

Maybe you and him just got off on the wrong foot....