SafeAir1 Pitot Mount

A forum to report your experiences with vendors specific to the homebuilt community.
captain_john
Sparky

SafeAir1 Pitot Mount

Post by captain_john »

I got's ta say... so far, so good!

The kaboodle is fairly comprehensive and the instructions are clear and well thought out!

Now that my wings are match drilled, I thought it would be the right time to install the pitot mast!

You mark the placement, and have at it with the Unibit and a Dremel!

I started with a #40 pilot bit, as it was already chucked up!

A little "finagle-ing" and it was done!

I am pleased with the product and the company! An excellent alternative to Gretz! I am ticked off at him, beacause he took weeks to return my TWO emails!

This is why I sought another vendor for the pitot solution. I am pleased that I did! I also bought the Dynon plumbing kit for the AOA pitot. I will be running elecricity out there too, but as you know Dynon hasn't yet released their HEATED AOA Pitot. I hope they do soon!

8) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

bmurrish
Class D

Post by bmurrish »

Hey CJ, did you ever decide on which pitot you were going to install? I know I want a heated pitot. I have emailed several people who make them, but haven't gotten any responses. I need to install the plumbing soon so I can close the wing. Is the plumbing all about the same?
Bill Murrish
RV-8 Fuselage

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Well, yah...

Bill, I suppose... If I were to lay my money down today it would be Dynon AOA pitot. As you already know, they are unheated. I am going to run a wire out there for heat later.

Maybe Dynon will come up with something by then, but if they don't a heated unit will work fine with the Safeair mast.

So will the Safeair plumbing kit.

I *suppose* that a standard heated mast could be installed and a separate AOA mast could be fitted onto another mast. Shouldn't be too hard to do with a little tinkering. That is plan Zulu, but still an idea I have bouncing around in my head.

Sooooo, there is the spectrum of heat/no heat AOA options as of this writing for me!

Lemme know what you come up with!

:mrgreen: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!