What were they thinking?

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 12.
svanarts
Air Marshall

What were they thinking?

Post by svanarts »

I think Van was wise to get into the LSA market but the more I look at the RV-12 the more I have to wonder what they were thinking? I'm not a big fan of fuel in the cockpit but I understand the reasons he did what he did (removable wings) but having to look over your shoulder to see how much fuel you have left? :?

Can anybody tell how much fuel is in the tank? I couldn't. The photo wasn't taken from the pilot's perspective, sure. :)

I have a feeling that fuel senders and gauges will be a popular option.

And NO, I'm not considering an RV-12. The S-19 is a better design, IMO, and I'm not even considering that. :)
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I think they were going after the "remove the wing and transport" aspect. IMO that is a very good one. Having the fuel tank in the fuse I think will end up being a personal thing. I am not a huge fan of it, but people did it for years with planes such as the J3, etc.

I do think the RV12 is a sweet plane though.
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

If you look closely at the forward end of the tank I think there is a fuel sender there! I like that there are two ways to see how much fuel you have - the electronic sender and a visual method. I think the RV-12 is a sweet little sucka....if I didn't already want to build a RV-3 or 8, I would be all about the -12!
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

By golly that does look like a sender. If that's what it is... then as Rosanne Rosannadanna used to say, "Nevermind."
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

aerial
Class E

Tropical Option

Post by aerial »

I think that's the "Mexico" option, that way you can take a can of gas with you over the border. When you are getting low you can just pop the top and fill'er up. It'll keep you from having to land near Tijuana and risk getting plane jacked. :smash:
Duane Cole T-cart 0-320 Full Inverted