RV 12 questions

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 12.
OldTee
Class G

RV 12 questions

Post by OldTee »

Thinking.

I have not seen any X-wind component figures for the RV 12? Or, for that matter, any RV?

What are the dimensions of the RV 12 Horizontal stabilator? Maybe I missed it in the specs?

Has anyone designed a trailer for these aircraft? It's pretty early in their life for that, perhaps?

Is nose wheel shimmy a problem, can it be cured?

Vans advertises hand tools for the RV12 but the Avery Kit is $1400. Surely that is overkill. Thoughts?

RV12 strobe? No electrics in wing that I saw. Thoughts?

Any RV12's under construction in the DC area?

:?

John

TomNativeNewYorker
Class D

Re: RV 12 questions

Post by TomNativeNewYorker »

OldTee wrote: Vans advertises hand tools for the RV12 but the Avery Kit is $1400. Surely that is overkill. Thoughts?
$1400 is probably just the start of it.

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

OldTee wrote: I have not seen any X-wind component figures for the RV 12? Or, for that matter, any RV?
I am not sure any have been published
OldTee wrote: What are the dimensions of the RV 12 Horizontal stabilator? Maybe I missed it in the specs?
Likewise I don't think that was published.
OldTee wrote: Has anyone designed a trailer for these aircraft? It's pretty early in their life for that, perhaps?
Dunno
OldTee wrote: Is nose wheel shimmy a problem, can it be cured?
I believe there are less than 5 or 10 of these flying. Its probably too early to tell what the operational characteristics are. It also depends on what you mean by 'shimmy'.
OldTee wrote: Vans advertises hand tools for the RV12 but the Avery Kit is $1400. Surely that is overkill. Thoughts?
I agree with the other comment that $1400 might be short. Though there are no dimpling / solid shank requirements that I know of. Van's has always held to a minimal tool line. Most builders go beyond that for ease of construction.
OldTee wrote: RV12 strobe? No electrics in wing that I saw. Thoughts?
Thoughts specifically regarding what? I haven't seen them in any pictures of the SLSA which means that you can't put them in the ELSA unless Van's offers factory support ("options") for that. They indicated that lights and such were possible options for the future. You should call them if you want a better scoop. Alternatively you could build it any way you want and register it as EAB.
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

OldTee wrote:
Vans advertises hand tools for the RV12 but the Avery Kit is $1400. Surely that is overkill. Thoughts?

RV12 strobe? No electrics in wing that I saw. Thoughts?

Any RV12's under construction in the DC area?

I agree with the others about the cost of tools. Expect to pay probably closer to $2,000.

I think electric was left out of the wing to make it easily removable. You can either build it as an ELSA, fly off the 5 hours test period, and then make "minor changes" legally. The other option is to build it as an EAB and find a DAR that will register it as so. I know a recent RV-12 got registered this way (first RV-12 to be EAB).

You might be better posting a question for local RV-12 builders in the Mid-atlantic RV Yahoo! Group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Mid-AtlRVwing/
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

BlndRvtr12
Class G

RV12 Stab

Post by BlndRvtr12 »

The stabilator of the RV12 has an 8 ft. span.

George

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Excellent information, thanks! And Welcome to RB. Its good to see a first time contributor. :welcome:

-- Spike
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl