throttle stuck at idle position - very humid weather

A place to discuss the maintenance of flying RV's
A2022
Class E

throttle stuck at idle position - very humid weather

Post by A2022 »

I pulled the plane out for a flight, but the throttle was stuck at the idle position. no force could move it, so I removed the throttle cable to have a look at it. it looked good with the sheathing fully in place, no signs of heat. again, no force could move it. it has been hot and humid lately, so I took the throttle cable home to put in a de-humidifier. 2 hours in the de-humidifier, no change. 4 hrs in the de-humidifier and the throttle broke free and was easy to move. time for a new throttle cable and I need to have a spare on hand. note: this cable is 2007 vintage and 1000 hrs of operation.

edit: after the cable has been in the house at a relative humidity of 50% for 14 hours, the cable operates perfectly with no indication of impending failure. I thought about re-installing the cable and departing for a planned camping trip to Michigan but what if it rains? or the cable develops another problem because of some unknown internal defect, so no. the throttle cable is a critical safety item. I'll install a new one.

Steve Melton
RV9A, O-320, WW 200 RV prop, Dual impulse slick mags, CHT 330F, EGT 1300F, Oil pressure = 65 psi, 1000+ hours for all
https://www.rvplasticparts.com/

A2022
Class E

Re: throttle stuck at idle position - very humid weather

Post by A2022 »

a neighbor had a spare throttle cable so that was replaced today, and I had some good help. it was easy to swap the throttle knob. I just can't do the standard black plastic knob anymore. I think it would be good to have some spare cables on hand so that you're not grounded waiting for shipping. I plan to have a spare set in the future.

the daughter refurbished an antique espresso machine. it works!

cool weather, nice music and a good time working with ones you love. a very good day.

Steve Melton
RV9A, O-320, WW 200 RV prop, Dual impulse slick mags, CHT 330F, EGT 1300F, Oil pressure = 65 psi, 1000+ hours for all
https://www.rvplasticparts.com/