Tru Track Wing Servo / Conduit

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 7/7A.
Womack2005
Class D

Tru Track Wing Servo / Conduit

Post by Womack2005 »

I was looking at the mounting of the TruTrack wing servo. Has anyone installed this AND installed the wing wiring coduit per the Vans FAQ?

At first glace it would apear that the two would interfere with one another.

I have already made the holes for the coduit and I'm thinking that its not going to wrok to hot in that one bay where it will have to go around the servo.

Anyone do this yet?
Will
7A 72452 Wings
\_____@(")@_____/

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Nope. No one has. Nobody.

:lol: Just kidding Will! I personally have not, but I'm sure someone here can give you the exact answer/instructions you need. I just had to get a chuckle out of ya. :wink:

There's hundreds of TT servo's installed out there, so it shouldn't be a problem finding your solution. Sorry, I know this didn't help at all. I'm bored at work today... :bang:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

prestwich
Class D

Post by prestwich »

cjensen wrote: I'm bored at work today... :bang:
Chad, I think the cure for boredom is to spend some time considering whether the nosewheel would be a better choice. :evil:

Womack2005
Class D

Post by Womack2005 »

Yeah, I'm kinda bored too :lol: Although we did have a fire drill earlier.

Dave answered me with a pic on the "other" forum. Looks like it won't be an issue.

How many of you all are going with the Tru Track single axis system?
Will
7A 72452 Wings
\_____@(")@_____/

RV7Factory
Beanpolt

Post by RV7Factory »

Going with Trio myself. I like the servos better... no drag.

VERY bored here too.
Last edited by RV7Factory on Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad Oliver
RV-7 | Livermore, CA
RV7Factory.com

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

prestwich wrote:Chad, I think the cure for boredom is to spend some time considering whether the nosewheel would be a better choice. :evil:
Oh boy, let's not go there... :lol: :roll:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

I will probably go with Trio or Navaid. A buddy of mine has the TruTrack, and always has to reset it. The altitude hold works great every time, but the Nav selection never captures on the first try. Not to scare you if you already have it. It's probably a fluke with his.

I like the Trio for the same reason as Brad.
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

Womack2005
Class D

Post by Womack2005 »

OK, I am still in the very early planning stages with the Autopilot. But now you guys have me rethinking the TruTrak big time. I notice that the Trio is about the same $$$ as the TruTrak and appears to be much better.

I was just reading about the servo disconnect. Very cool. You guys have actually felt the difference?
Will
7A 72452 Wings
\_____@(")@_____/

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

I've flown both, but they were in different airplanes. Doesn't do any good to compare them to each other for me. I'd like to know as well Will...
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Well,

I am thinking TruTrack for the time being. Alex DeDo hooked me up good and proper with all the answers, 411 and bracketry I needed to install the wing servo, so I feel obliged to continue with the initial plan.

To answer the question, I HAVE installed the conduit in accordance with the Van's suggested plan and I have seen the servo.

It looks like there will be NO interference and the drag seems sooooo minimal. I don't see any showstopper there for me.

I am planning the ADI Pilot or the DigiTrack. Not sure yet. I also am planning on an altitude hold function too.

:wink: CJ

P.S. The kids kept me hopping today. I guess SOMEONE has to work!

:P
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

RV7Factory
Beanpolt

My 2-cents!

Post by RV7Factory »

I haven’t flown behind either, but I have played with both units extensively at OSH. The benefit of the Trio (IMHO) is the solenoid that disengages the servo motor and transmission from the bellcrank when the A/P is off. This results in a free fluid motion without ANY servo drag. The TT on the other hand, doesn’t have this, so you are moving the servos gears even when it is disengaged. Some people will tell you this isn’t an issue, and some will tell you it is a big issue. Personally, I found the difference to be amazing. Keep in mind however, I was grabbing the servo bellcrank directly, and didn’t have the leverage benefit an aircraft control system.

Other than the servo issue, I just liked the features of the Trio unit better. In addition, Trio’s altitude hold system is slicker than snot on a doorknob, but that's another topic.

Maybe it was just my abrasive personality, but I couldn’t get the TT guys to give me 2 minutes at OSH, and they weren’t that busy. On the other hand, the Trio guys spent over and hour with me. It is that kind of stuff that goes a long way in forming my opinion, regardless of features.

Both the TT and Trio units can be added down the road. TT manufactures RV specific mounting brackets (seen in Dave’s pics elsewhere), while Trio does not. For this reason, I think this makes mounting the TT servo slightly easier. However, SafeAir1 does sell a Trio mounting kit which is typically installed out toward the wing tip. I am going to leave my lower outboard wing skins off for just this reason. Besides, who knows, I may go WhiskeyVictor on this. :)

There, now you know everything I know.
Brad Oliver
RV-7 | Livermore, CA
RV7Factory.com

Womack2005
Class D

Post by Womack2005 »

Right on CJ, it looks like the TT install will not be a problem if I stick with it.

Brad, I can totally relate to the vibe you got from the TT guys at OSH. They seemed very interested in my opinion about their new (silly looking) EFIS, but when I asked them to describe the operation of their existing products it was like pulling teeth.

I really like the idea of the servo disconnect.
Will
7A 72452 Wings
\_____@(")@_____/

Snap
Class D

Post by Snap »

One of the guys here has te TRIO and it has a neat little function. Press a button and it will do a 180deg turn for you. Good if you go into gloop.
RV-7A Emp
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

Worked on the 7 all day. Not bored at all.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Snap wrote:One of the guys here has te TRIO and it has a neat little function. Press a button and it will do a 180deg turn for you. Good if you go into gloop.
I heard about the magic button.

I gotta say, it still baffles me.

Hmmmm, I just dunno why I would want it or why it is so important?

:roll: CJ

P.S. Jim, I worked on my -7 all afternoon/evening. Not bored either! Great stuff, huh?
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I spent lots of time with Trio at Osh 04 and they are number one for me.

- John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

aparchment
Class C

workin' hard

Post by aparchment »

I thought about my -7 all day. Does that count? Of course I am in Aruba . . .
captain_john wrote:P.S. Jim, I worked on my -7 all afternoon/evening. Not bored either! Great stuff, huh?