elevator horizontal stab interference

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 7/7A.
gsimatos
Class E

elevator horizontal stab interference

Post by gsimatos »

On the outboard ends of the HS skin there is a step which accepts the counterbalance portion of the elevators on each side. I attempted to install the elevators today but the counterbalance assembly seems to extend a good 3/4 of an inch beyond the step so I cannot bring the hinge attach points in to line. It seems if I trim the HS skin it would fit but it seems to me 3/4 of an inch is alot. Have any of you run into this problem?? Gary

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

You have to cut a fair amount away there ... on the -8 it is depicted somewhere on the plans. Mine was 3/4" + on the top and bottom...

T.
Thomas Short
Indianapolis, IN (KUMP)
RV-8 wings

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

Yep, you do have to trim as needed to get it to clear. I think on mine, I slipped them inside and temporarily bolted them in and got them into position before marking how much to trim it.
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

briand
Class E

Post by briand »

I think you should drill the elevs. with the c-bal. in the center of the H-S skins. I have read that builders line their elev. TE's up with each other, but that makes no sense to me seeing as how the instructions say the elev. TE's need to be in trail with the H-S. If one side of the H-S is a little off, compensating with one elevator by "pushing the tail" up or down (in relation to other) makes no sense. You are just going to make the problem worse. I think some builders go wrong here. If this post sounds a little wacky it might be the whiskey I have been drinkin :beer: all day eh, so if you don't understand quite what I'm sayin I don't know what ta tell ya. Either way I have thought this thru and think my thinkin is right.
RV-8 Fuse/Finish

gsimatos
Class E

Post by gsimatos »

OK Thanks you guys. I will give it a go today, Cheers Gary

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

Um, in no way was I saying that this is the position to use to set them up for trailing edges alignment... I'm simply saying you can use this technique to get close on knowing where to trim the HS area.

The trailing edges of the elevators should be aligned with each other before drilling the ends together.
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

gsimatos
Class E

Post by gsimatos »

Wicked, I am with you: Specifically on the trimming where the elevator counterweight assembly may conflict with the HS. I am going to see if I can nest it into the HS as you suggested as this would be ideal to determine just how much I will have to trim. Seems so many areas on the kit fits so nicely that such a big trim job makes me wonder if I built the darn elevators wrong (twice). Thank you all again for you advice Cheers G