installation of Vert Stab

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 7/7A.
gsimatos
Class E

installation of Vert Stab

Post by gsimatos »

I am getting the VS positioned for installation and drilling of the rear spar to the fuselage. The plans ask that you place a straight edge along the three hinge attach brackets which I did and was surprised that they didn't line up. With the rear spar clamped I needed to push the vs forward which then brings the hinge brackets into alignment but I gotta tell ya it was quite a push. The front spar attach seems to be in a reasonable position. So although the rear spar should be staright I guess I managed to build some curve into it. Have any of you run into this?? Thx Gary

weezbad
Class C

not exactly

Post by weezbad »

i found that i could walk it back and forth relatively easy. i didnt have to push any great amount.
are you using fishing line in the holes?...do you have the buttons from the avery kit that allow perfect centering of the string...i dont know that i would align simply to the aft most portion of the brkt. i dont think i pushed more than 1/8 of an inch. make certain (redundant i know) all brkts are correctly placed. pics of gap would help.
make certain you are supporting the front spar close to its home postition.
william....don't let it beat you down, you are stronger than you think.

gsimatos
Class E

Post by gsimatos »

WW Thanks for your comments. I am not familiar with the fishing line method of alignment. I did double check the brackets to make sure I didn't switch the middle ones with the top ones but since the spar tapers toward the top I don't think you would be able to do a switch by accident. I took a couple of photos for my own record but over the 4 feet of the spar you could not really see the problem. With the rear spar clamped to the fuselage, the top of the spar tilts backwards. So in terms of the hinge brackets, the upper bracket pair are behind the middle and lower pair. When you place the straight edge against the brackets from the rear you touch the upper and lower ones but you are about 1/2 an inch behind the middle ones. Moving the VS forward seems to allow the spar to straighten out and the three sets of bracket come into alignment. It does seem a little odd as the spar looks straight as a poker lying on the bench. I am back at it tomorrow and will need to give everything a serious look before I go ahead and drill any mounting holes. I will let ya know how I make out. Now birthday party for my daughter and her eight little buddies, Cheers G

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

I had slightly less than a 1/2" gap on mine too at the middle bracket. I had to push about 1/4" forward to the top of the VS, and used the plans method to measure the aft end of the brackets. Once it's all clamped in place and drilled, fit was perfect with no binding of the rudder.

Just get the brackets in line, and drill it...it'll work out.

8)

Found my pic of it...

Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

gsimatos
Class E

Post by gsimatos »

Chad Yep That is exactly the issue. Guess I am too quick to conclude I screwed up which as you know has happened in the past. Just went over to the hangar and as you said with a gentle nudge it all seems to line up OK.

Thank you and WW for taking a moment to get back to me on this. Darn thing is starting to look like some kinda flying machine, Cheers G