The baggage area floor

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 7/7A.
captain_john
Sparky

The baggage area floor

Post by captain_john »

MAN!

There is certainly more than meets the eye in those baggage floors and adjacent structure!

I messed around with that stuff for 5 hours or so tonight and got only the pilot side done!

They are secured with pulled rivets, 2 sizes of 426-3's and several 426-4's!

I am gonna add a little twist to my project by putting the map pockets on the outside walls like in the RV8or too!

Pics to follow!

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

chappyd
Class G

Post by chappyd »

Ya got that right! I finished up my baggage area last weekend. I debated making the floors removable for about a week or so. Finally decided to just follow the plans. primed everything underneath and just did it.
I really hate working with nutplates, especially in places I need to lean and stretch to get riveted :bang: . I managed to put a nice dent in the floor with my elbow while I was screwing around in there. The carpet should cover it :oops:

Now I'm up to the aft and front seats. I got the backs finished earlier, and when I put them in something didn't seem quite right??? Figured out that I had put the seats together lining up on the edges of my seatback skins, which were a little crooked. Another order into Van's, $28 each. Not too bad, but the pile of scrap parts is bigger now, lol.

This weekend I'll be working on the forward floor stuff, maybe even mount the rudder pedals. That should be a drop in deal, since the installation work was done while the fuse was still inverted.

If I'm not too far away, I'd like to put myself on the list of people for your roaming visit schedule. I'd love to get some of you guys over here to see ( and crituiqe) my project.
Dave Chapdelaine
N821RV (reserved)
Fuselage
www.davesrv7.com
web site not updated frequently---I'm building :)

Who am I kidding? It's never gonna be updated again, lol. Been so long I forgot how :)

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Chappy, come on up!

As these planes get completed, it will be easier to get around to check on each other's progress.

We will make a trip down to see you too!

Gimme a call sometime.

Did you match drill your baggage bulkheads to the 706 yet? I put those platenuts on last night.

Incidentally, I noticed that the map pockets are the same size as the center baggage floor part! You can buy the part from Van and match drill it to the baggage walls!

When I get to the point to take some pics, I will post them here so you can see what I mean.

RV-7

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Hey All,

Here are the map pockets I spoke of in the previous reply:

They are only rough fit, but I will paint them and solid rivet them in place for good after the canopy latch stuff is done.

Whatcha think, good idea?

8) CJ
RV-7

JohnR
Class B

Post by JohnR »

Looks like a good idea to me. I plan on doing some thing similar on mine after we talked the other day. Are you leaving the gap at the bottom for a reason or just because of the aluminum you had? Just curious, I had not thought about having it open like that at the bottom. It would keep trash from collecting in there.
JohnR
RV-7A - Fuselage - SOLD, just not supposed to be
Numbers 6:24 - The LORD bless thee, and keep thee

weezbad
Class C

Post by weezbad »

say, you saw these in the rv8tor? i like, but i hate maken new holes. but i want some map pockets and dont want to install the map box in the dash.
william....don't let it beat you down, you are stronger than you think.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

John, Yah...

The 1" gap at the bottom is twofold. On reason is to let the junk fall out the bottom. You know, pens and paperclips.

The other reason is the 8/32 screws that hold the flap cover on need to remain accessible. This space allows me to hold the screws with my fingers while the other hand can spin a screwdriver.

Willie, yes. It is in the RV8OR. Nothing new here. You just don't see people doing it for whatever reason. I think it sure beats the glove box in the panel. I am going to put the slash ones in underneath the panel too.

I think it is slick, Willie!

:wink: CJ
RV-7

JohnR
Class B

Post by JohnR »

Oh yeah, I forgot about the screw on the top of that panel. Looks liek a plan to me. What thickness is the material you used? I have plenty of .032, think that would work?
JohnR
RV-7A - Fuselage - SOLD, just not supposed to be
Numbers 6:24 - The LORD bless thee, and keep thee

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

0.032 would be fine. I used 0.025 because I had it kicking around. Van shipped me a second tailcone skin. Thanks Dick! (The first one came damaged.)

RV-7

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

Looks good, you can never have too many map pockets, especially ones you can reach without taking off the seat belts. You may want to add some velcro flaps to the pockets if you are going to be spending much time with negative any zero or negative G's. Getting hit in the face with even a map is no fun when you are doing something other than straight and level. I've had things pop out of pockets during turbulence a couple of times, and undoing my belt to fetch them is not high on the priority list when being bounced around.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

I put similiar ones on each side of the rear baggage compartment but I did not go on to the second section. I put plate nuts on so I can remove them for working on the flap mechinism etc. I didn't paint my and at this time I don't plan to but I can always take them off and paint them later.
Looks good!

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Don, I don't plan on spending much time in the negative region. When I do, I will lighten the load and take non-essentials out of the plane.

With the way the materials had to bend into the pockets, I don't think they would remove themselves too easily in a negative atmosphere.

Bob, I never thought of doing only the forward area. It just seemed natural to span the entire section all at once.

I have a tip for everyone interested in doing this coming up soon. Lemme take another pic and get back to you!

RV-7

Rockyjs
Class G

Post by Rockyjs »

If you need some additional map pocket space, I plan on making a pocket out of material that would velcro under the seat cushions to the seat floors, and drape over the spar kick plates and be fastened with velcro to them. I had this in my AVID MK IV. It was perfect for holding maps, small flashlights, pens etc. A flap could be sewn in to secure items for when you wanted to set your hair on fire.

I don't have a map box planned for my panel. I do have some space, but the Van's map box is too big to fit, plus I'm not fond of hacking another hole in the sub-panel.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Hey Rocko, that is a great place for a pocket!

Has anyone ever given thought to using a RAM mount to locate a 496 between the pilot and co?

:? CJ
RV-7