Fuse Kit Day!

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 7/7A.
BSwayze
Class C

Fuse Kit Day!

Post by BSwayze »

Well... the day I've been waiting for came yesterday... I picked up my fuse kit!

It's 22 miles from my house to Van's, via the scenic country back roads, which makes it less than half-an-hour drive time. I had a Will-Call appointment for 2 PM. It worked out weather-wise to be in between these spring downpours we've been having lately. Perfect.

A lot of the usual faces at Van's weren't there yesterday. And when I went out into the hanger, one lonely RV-7A was sitting there. Most of the fleet is gone, too. I was told they are at Sun-N-Fun. A fly-in I'd like to visit someday.

So when I finished with the paperwork and writing a very big check, I was told that they were expecting some UPS and Fed-Ex trucks at Will Call, and would I please go to the hanger door. So I waited there. I was a bit surprised at the changes going on at Van's. They are enlarging their quarters, and the construction is still going on.

The single-door that used to be to the left of the little entry door has been bricked up, and these new double-doors have been installed. Lots of new square footage here, too.

I parked well out of the way, beside these container trucks. The cart with the big crate was wheeled out to my vehicle.

There's a ton of stuff in that big crate! Here I am, midway through loading it all, wondering how I'm going to get it all into my SUV.
Image Image

I even had stuff on the front seat, and on the floor.

Well, the burning question of the day has been answered... YES! An entire fuse kit fits into the back of a Ford Expedition. Quite nicely, actually.

Don't let that picture fool you. There's a lot of stuff under those skins. The inventory list is 10 pages long! The drive home was uneventful, and I spent the next 5 hours doing inventory and unloading it all. Still not finished with inventory.

For some of you Westerners, the drive might be worthwhile. Here's why:
No crating charge (I couldn't fit that big crate in my rig anyway)
No shipping charge
No sales tax
Yippee! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Re: Fuse Kit Day!

Post by bullojm1 »

BSwayze wrote: No crating charge (I couldn't fit that big crate in my rig anyway)
No shipping charge
Bruce-

I am VERY jealous about those last two cost savings. Well, I am most jealous about the NO SHIPPING CHARGE! Wow! I don't even want to think about how much I have given the freight companies to get the boxes to the right coast (well over $1k). Not to mention the convenience of being able to drive to Van's for any "extra" parts you need.

The fuselage is a very enjoyable subkit to build. Not redundant and tedious like the wings. Lots of fabrication. Before you know it, you will have a right-side-up canoe in your garage! Have fun, congratulations and good luck!
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

BSwayze
Class C

Post by BSwayze »

Mike,

Thanks, Buddy! I appreciate the encouragement. I can't wait to dive into the fuse kit. Yes, the cost savings are tremendous when you can pick this stuff up, and you figure this for at least 4 sub-kits and maybe even an engine & prop, if I buy those from Vans. I guess there has to be some advantage to living here in the rainy cool NW. :)

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Sweet Bruce!! What a savings that is!

Mike is right...the fuselage is a blast to build! Keep the pics coming as you progress!

8) 8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com