Hotel Whiskey ER tank install

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 7/7A.
1:1_Scale
Class D

Hotel Whiskey ER tank install

Post by 1:1_Scale »

So I decided to add a little more fuel to my project, and figured I'd go the easy route and install the HW tanks. More fuel could be carred for less, but I liked the idea of a "turnkey" install, and they hold enough fuel for my mission needs, so I pulled the trigger:
(sorry for the sideways pic, but I'm too lazy to host it other than where it already is :oops: )

Step one was to cut a hole in the bottom of my leading edge for the "optional" inspection hole. I guess you can do the install without the hole, but I think it would require tools that I don't have...... lol

After deburring the cutout and drilling the holes for the backing plate and dimpling them, I mounted the brackets that hold the inside end of the tank in place:

A reinforcement plate with a couple of nutplates gets riveted to the inside rib for the Facet pump to mount to:

Tube from the pump to the fitting that the transfer hose connects to to send the fuel to the main tanks:

The outboard end of the tanks bolt to the end ribs and a vent line is plumbed to a predetermined spot on the bottom skin:

Piano hinges for the wingtips:

Power wire for the Facet pump:
There's an unused hole already in the spar, so a rubber grommet is all it takes to run the wire to the standard conduit.

I had to get a little creative for the fuel door in the wingtip, since I may have shortened the wingtip more then HW planned when I was mounting it:

And.......DONE!
Image[/img]
Kelly
RV-7 Empennage done, wings done, fuselage to QB stage
1947 Stinson108-1 flying

BSwayze
Class C

Post by BSwayze »

Kelly,

That's an amazing concept. Nice work! I saw some of those for the first time tonight in the hanger of a friend at our monthly EAA meeting. How much fuel do they hold, anyway?
Bruce Swayze
Portland, Oregon
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
RV-7A Working on Firewall Forward

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Now that is cool! :thumbsup:
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

airguy
Class E

Post by airguy »

Nice clean install.

I converted my outboard leading edges to a second set of fuel tanks, doubling the capacity on the airplane. On my slow-build I estimate it cost me about an extra 50 hours of actual build time, not counting research time. Extra cost was only about $300, and I have a dry weight gain of 11.3 pounds.
Greg Niehues
Midland, TX
RV9A - finishing - 90% done, 90% to go
http://websites.expercraft.com/airguy/
Building a 9A with too much fuel and too much engine - should drop dead any minute now. :roll:

1:1_Scale
Class D

Post by 1:1_Scale »

Bruce, they hold 4.5 gallons per side, not really THAT much, but it is another hour. That should make a non stop, 200mph trip from here to F70 a non event, which is one of my mission objectives.

Greg, these tanks are certinaly higher on the $ per gallon scale, but they hold enough for me, and I won't have to worry about if I messed up some part of the design. I also feel very good about filling the plane with fuel and putting 100 lbs. in the baggage area. I like the idea of using the whole leading edge like you are, but I don't see myself using all of that fuel. If I ever plan to fly to Hawaii, I'll pack some oars :mrgreen:
Kelly
RV-7 Empennage done, wings done, fuselage to QB stage
1947 Stinson108-1 flying