Rudders - old style vs. new

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 7/7A.
captain_john
Sparky

Rudders - old style vs. new

Post by captain_john »

I purchased my kit from someone who stored it since 2001. Needless to say I do not have all the pre-punching that most of you have. I also have the old style, folded trailing edge rudder.

I spoke with Mike Seager and he said the major difference in normal flight is the yaw waggle in the old rudder. In other words, a full deflection of input produces a waggle of about 2-3 motions. I can deal with that.

Of course the new rudder has superior spin recovery, but well... that is another story all together and fairly straightforward in comprehension.

My question is, are there any other considerations or benefits of the new rudder over the old?

I plan on requesting the new rudder and experimenting between the two for experimenting sake, but this is a ways off.

:? CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Hmmm...

Post by Spike »

*If* I remember correctly the new rudder was important enough to Vans that they were giving them to the people who purchased the original emp. If that were the case Im not sure that *I* would want to use the old one. Maybe a call to the factory to see what they say ?

-- John

arffguy

RV-7 rudder

Post by arffguy »

The prototype RV-7 still has the folded rudder on it. Obviously Van is not super concerned with it.

Thermos
Class D

Post by Thermos »

If you don't intend to do fully-developed spins, I doubt you'll need the new RV-9 rudder. IIRC, Van's provided the -9 rudder after the Van himself spun the prototype RV-7 and found that its recovery characteristics weren't what he wanted.

Hi Cap'n John...and everyone else! :wave:

Dave

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Hey Thermos !! Welcome to the group. Stick around, participate, and bring friends. This is going to be a good group of people !!

-- John

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

:mrgreen: Hi Dave! How'd ya get that name... Thermos?!?

All, Thermos is right and, FWIW, Van's also says the old, folded trailing edge has a bit of a yaw waggle to it when responding from a full input of deflection. Aside from that, not much difference.

I am proceeding with my old style folded edge and am going to request the new one, just to experiment with. After all, isn't this why they call it, "Experimental Category"?

:P CJ
RV-7

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Me, Ken and my Rudder!

Thanks for the picture, Thermos!

:lol: CJ
RV-7

arffguy
Class E

rudder service bulletin

Post by arffguy »

http://vansaircraft.com/pdf/sb02-6-1.pdf

CONCLUSION:
Flown within the recommended limitations of Section 15 of the Construction Manual, either the original or the
enlarged RV-7 rudder will provide adequate authority for spin recovery.
The substitution of an RV-9 rudder on an RV-7 improved spin recovery. With the larger rudder, the RV-7 will have
better spin recovery from whatever flight condition the pilot may encounter.
IN CONSIDERATION OF THIS, VAN’S AIRCRAFT IS TAKING THE FOLLOWING
ACTION:
1. Van’s Aircraft has altered the RV-7/7A Empennage Kit by replacing its rudder with a larger one, identical to the
RV-9/9A rudder. All new kits shipped after 5-20-02 will include the new, larger rudder.