Help me plan my panel!

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 7/7A.
Brantel
Class B

Need the backup instruments?

Post by Brantel »

Been thinking about the Dual GRT Sport with the AHRS in each screen.

With this system, since it has a dual AHRS's which constantly cross check themselves and if one dies the other takes over and feeds both screens.

So with this in mind, I basically already have two complete EFIS systems so do I really need these backup instruments?
Brantel (Brian Chesteen),
RV12-IS, #121606, N912BC - Building Now!
RV10, #41942, N????? - Project Sold
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB - SOLD

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Brantel-

The only thing you don't have redundancy against in that scenario is a software bug. Both GRT screens could crash on you at the same time. Rare, but possible. When I started looking at glass panels, I looked at certified birds....How many G1000 equipped planes do you see without steam backup?
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

Good point.

All the options/features/redundancy/prices/performance etc of planning a panel sure makes a person's head swim.

Now I just have to win the lottery to be able to do anything but print pictures of the components!

Anyone got a phone number for a good bankruptcy attorney?

Brantel
Class B

New thoughts on a Dynon solution....

Post by Brantel »

Since Dynon shook up the experimental efis/em/ap market a few days ago by announcing the new AP and its features/pricing, I decided to take a new look at what a panel based on there system would look like for me and how would it compare in cost and features.

Here is my first pass at this panel. Keep in mind that switches, lights, and other aux. items are not shown as this is just a concept. I will be adding at least an inch maybe more to the bottom of the stock panel.

Equipment list:

Backup instruments are:
2-1/4" ASI, TT ADI, & ALT - Backup if everything dies, ADI will have a battery and I will most likely add a stick on slip/skid ball thingy below it.

G496, Will have a switch to transfer GPS nav info going into the HS34 from the G496 or the G430W.
The G496 will be serving as my moving map, weather, terrain/obstacle, and traffic interface.
The G496 will be connected to the G430W for crossfilling the flight plan and will also be connected to a ZAON unit for the traffic.

Dynon (backup batteries included):

Efis, EM, and HSI
One D180 for EFIS and EM information
One D10A for redundance EFIS and extra screen space without taking up tons of panel space
The layout gives redundancy and versatile screen options. I can display EFIS on either screen, EFIS and EM on the 180, EFIS and HSI on the 180, EFIS on the D10A, EM on the D10, or HSI on the D10A.

The Dynon also gets me the AOA for included for no extra charge.

The Dynons will be connected to the HS34 interface for connectivity to all the nav sources.

The Dynon EFIS will also be connected to the AP76 unit and this will serve as the AP control head for a full featured (and then some) dual axis AP that can do about anything under the sun. When connected to the G430W, the 496 or the SL30, most approaches, holds, DME arcs, VOR courses, ect can be flown fully coupled in both the horizontal and vertical axis. When the G430W is the source for GPS data, the AP will be using the GPS steering commands and should accurately fly holds, arcs, etc. with great precision.

I will most likely be using either a Garmin or PSE audio panel and don't know which one I will use at this time. The MB reciever of the audio panel will also be connected to the HS34 for display on the EFIS's.

The G430 will be the heart of the system if I can figure out a way to afford one. This thing offers the best bang for the buck and seems to be the cornerstone for a good IFR setup.

The SL30 will provide backup com, second VOR, and backup ILS capability etc. The Dynons can use the monitor feature of the SL30 to let you know the radial you are on to the standby station. This is almost as good as having a third VOR for free. The HSI of the Dynon will also decode the identifier and display that on the HSI.

Transponder does the transponder thing.

How does all of this look? Am I off base on the thought path?

Dual EFIS,
EM,
EHSI,
Backup primary flight instruments,
Moving Map,
Traffic that works anywhere,
XM weather,
Redundant GPS nav sources
Do all G430W,
Backup Com and VOR,
Self contained backup power for critical items,
Sweet full featured and then some AP

What else could someone ask for in a /G IFR (reasonable single engine, no icing) ship?
Last edited by Brantel on Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

You have definitely put a lot of thought into the redundancy aspect, which is oh so important for IFR. I'm a long way off from designing this for my plane so I haven't done nearly the amount of thinking about it as you have, but I don't seeing anything bad about the concept at all. The 430W is certainly what I want at the heart of the nav/com system. It's all about giving you enough confidence in the setup so that when something fails, and it will, there is enough redundancy to turn the situation into an inconvenience and not a safety issue.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Brantel,

I got an idea! Move the radio stack to the left and closer to the EFIS display like I am doing!

Yah... I am gonna beat you to the punch and not bait you into this one. I know, it won't fit because the hat channel is in the way behind the 430 that is too deep, right?

Well, I am moving mine 5" towards the passengers side just to accommodate the radio stack!

Move this hat channel and move the rib and see how much more flexible the layout becomes!

THEN, come back to us with another layout!

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

CJ,

I am all open to modifying the area behind the panel as needed. Got any pics of your setup?

Seems Van's never looked at how equipment would interfear back there when they designed this thing.
captain_john wrote:Brantel,

I got an idea! Move the radio stack to the left and closer to the EFIS display like I am doing!

Yah... I am gonna beat you to the punch and not bait you into this one. I know, it won't fit because the hat channel is in the way behind the 430 that is too deep, right?

Well, I am moving mine 5" towards the passengers side just to accommodate the radio stack!

Move this hat channel and move the rib and see how much more flexible the layout becomes!

THEN, come back to us with another layout!

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

You may need to move your ribs around but it's dead simple to do. Your only drawback I've found so far is you'll loose a little of the rigidity through the sub-panel. If you order a set of ribs from Van's the pre-punched hole area can be used to form the flange of the new rib.

TomNativeNewYorker
Class D

Post by TomNativeNewYorker »

jim_geo wrote:Your only drawback I've found so far is you'll loose a little of the rigidity through the sub-panel.
Cant you 'roll your own' 90 degree stiffener for this area?

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Yup, I do.

This ain't my setup, It is Jack Rosen's. I went to him with the idea and he said, "You mean like I did"?

He is an absolute VISIONARY!

Remember, you saw it here first!

;) CJ
RV-7

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

Heck ya can do what ever ya want.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

There won't be any loss in rigidity. The radios need support from the rear. The radio chassis can tie the whole works in.

I work slowly, but have set a mental deadline of September.

I will keep you posted as I proceed!

RV-7