Quickbuild "A" landing gear mounts

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 7/7A.
Ron
Class E

Quickbuild "A" landing gear mounts

Post by Ron »

I am getting ready to open the holes in fuselage of the quickbuild A. I used the templates for layout, just want to know if anyone has a good way of cutting this elliptical shape into the skin. Any suggestions?
Ron
Wings & Fuselage

http://rons-rv-7.myairplane.com

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

I just wrote a whole big thing about using templates and went to post and reread your post. Dang!!! I used a #30 drill to drill very closely spaced holes in the skin along the line I drew then used a burr in my Dremel tool to cut between holes and then a small diameter drum sander to smooth the edges. Hope this helps

Ron
Class E

Post by Ron »

Thanks Jim, I did something similiar. Boy what a bear to get these mounts bolted up. I had to trim the floor stiffener by the lower 2 bolts to clear a socket to get them tight.Not much room in the spar to get at the washer and nut. I used a pair of forsnips and a long pair of channel locks to hold the nut while I threaded with the ratchet. How did you make out with yours?
Ron
Wings & Fuselage

http://rons-rv-7.myairplane.com

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

I guess that must be the way everyone does it cause it sure sounds like the method I used. It would be nice to have some really long skinny fingers.
Last edited by jim_geo on Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomC
Class E

Post by TomC »

Ron,

All I remember about this was that the template drawing was just a "start". I had to open the holes up with a Dremel to get the gear mounts installed. The exact shape of the hole does not matter. It will be covered by the gear leg intersection fairing. I agree that getting the mounts installed is difficult. I always wondered if it would be better to install the mounts before attaching the bottom skin.

Good luck!