build status

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 7/7A.
Speed3Guy
Class E

Post by Speed3Guy »

William,

That looks awesome!

I've got a kitchen pass to purchase buffing equipment. Are you using the Perfect-It 3000 compound and swirl mark remover from 3m?

Guy
Guy Prevost
Albuquerque, NM
RV-8a Flying!
http://websites.expercraft.com/geprevo/

weezbad
Class C

Post by weezbad »

yes i am and not the extra cut

2000 grit sand paper
sanding pad pn 05526

pefect it III rubing compound qt. pn-05933
white compounding pad pn-05731

perfect it swirl mark removerqt. pn- 06064
grey pad 1500 rpm's pn-05735

all products are 3M.... i did use some norton 3000 da paper and got some pigtails...(these are the sanding marks left by the paper loading up, THEY WONT COME OUT UNLESS YOU SAND THE PAINT TOOOO THIN. LETTIN EM RIDE.)
.if your not gonna use the 3M foam paper DO IT BY HAND its 65$for 25 sheets :o :o :o norton was 30 for 15 :o :o :o i bought the 1500 and the 3000 ....wasted money. maybe i'll use it on a car. :roll:

when buffing dont allow the splatter to get on your polishing (grey) pad.
cover or move it. othewise youll never get the wet look.
watch the video if you want to spend another couple hundred dollars...but the 2000 by hand works great if you have some ummmph to ya. i get the feeling you do. get the foam wet or dry sanding pad 2-3$, and a rubber squeege its only 2-3 $. makes hand sanding eaaaaasy. good luck
william....don't let it beat you down, you are stronger than you think.

weezbad
Class C

Post by weezbad »

thanks don..... not sure how i missed your post but thanks again...i do admit to it looking alooot better than it did in the beginning.

i would'nt quite call it pro though... :oops: but dern sure good enough for me. :mrgreen:

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Very sweet. The more I see people roll their own on the paint the more I don't want to do it.

Sure looks perty though.
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

weezbad
Class C

Post by weezbad »

well i dont want to discourage anyone and Guy Prevost said it best in this thread back several posts...

but man i tell ya, ive gotten real good at sanding and buffing, so much so i cant wait to paint a car...no more planes though. :oops:
sunday i buffed out the left wing after using the DA to sand with 1500 then final by hand with 2000 and compared to one i did completely by hand now i know what they mean when by optically flat...of course that meant i had to go back and do the top side to match it looked good before but it was well worth the work. should be a good 50 kts faster than it would have been. :wink: :roll:

today i actually took the wings and tail feathers to the airport. :yay: :drink:

getting them off the trailer was a dangerous task that could have ended it all. i was thankful for the knot tying class i gave the boyscouts a while back and the loop the rop to make a pulley trick.....i didnt think about it untill later but the rope could have easily cut itself in half. :o :o oh well it didnt. :mrgreen:

weezbad
Class C

Post by weezbad »

well i couldnt let all these planes go to the airport without taking mine so i took it today. let me tell ya the roll-back method wins hands down. a no brainer. money well spent..i would tell ya how much but they told me to come by tommorrow and pay. probally means more than i want to pay. :x

anywho it went without a hitch..now to get the wings on this baby and fire it up. :lol:

never mind the date. i put in the date i wished i would have finished... :roll:

and in the nest....sweeeeet and now my shop is airplaneless. this probally makes me happier than most.

Speed3Guy
Class E

Post by Speed3Guy »

SCHWEEEET William!!!! :mrgreen: I agree that the flatbed towtruck is the way to go. FWIW, it only cost me $164 for a 20 mile move. Best money I've spent on the project so far. I'm looking forward to seeing you fly. :drink:

Best.

Guy
Guy Prevost
Albuquerque, NM
RV-8a Flying!

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Those tip ups are fine pieces of hardware.

John

weezbad
Class C

Post by weezbad »

Spike wrote:Those tip ups are fine pieces of hardware.

John
they are slick lookin if i dont say so myself :mrgreen:

Guy, we should fly about the same time. i figure your time away and my lack of time should equal out. :oops:

just as a data point, it cost 80.00 for a hour and a half of time and the driver came from a neighboring county 15 miles away. we took it about 18-20 miles. he was as carefull as if it were his own plane. i knew him from working with him years ago at a cadillac dealership. when i found out he would be the driver i was relieved because i knew his reputation for not damaging stuff and being very reliable.

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

Congrats on the move Weez, glad it went well. My suv water pump blew a couple of nights ago on the way home and a tow of less than 2 miles cost me just shy of $100, so it sounds like you did good.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

Speed3Guy
Class E

Post by Speed3Guy »

No updates in over a month. Let's hear some news WEEZ! :)
Guy Prevost
Albuquerque, NM
RV-8a Flying!

TomC
Class E

Post by TomC »

I'll trade airplane moving bills with anyone. To explain: I have a friend that owns a body shop in a town 120 miles from my house. When it was time to paint the fuselage, I decided to use a flatbed moving truck. Since the painting would take a couple of days, the truck would have to make two ROUND trips, one to take the fuselage and one to return it to the airport. The total mileage was around 480 miles (4 x 120). When included with the drivers cost, the total came to around $1,100. This was in addition to the $100 it cost to rent a large cargo van to transport the wings. All this being said, I am happy with the results and I guess thats all that counts.

weezbad
Class C

Post by weezbad »

Speed3Guy wrote:No updates in over a month. Let's hear some news WEEZ! :)
I managed to get the wings on the plane with the help of my 11 year old son. The camera crapped out and all I have is these pics . I have the tail feathers installed less the rudder but have currently been running some lighting runs.
I have been having a little run in with the sickness that knocked me down a while back and that has caused an intermission but the show aint over.
I am on the shaded side of the hangar, :cry: which I’m sure breaks all of you northerners hearts :lol: but when your sick in the shade and the chills set in its time to flee. :bang: :bang: I plan on getting a good bit of work done shortly as my work is going to be at break for 5 weeks. I'll get two of these off to myself. :evil:
Perfectly clean holes,, I knew all that extra 40$ a gallon thinner was good for something.
Luckily I figured out the method a couple of summers ago. I rolled the wing in too high, and level, then lift on the outboard end slid it in, then positioned a jack underneath it. Climbed in and had my son pedal the jack for me. Work flawlessly. Tapped the bolts in with a Mac compo thane hammer. Pre-lubed the holes with lps 2 and a few with wd-40. wd 40 worked better.
Ewwww, wingbolt not nearly as bad as warned against. But they don’t fall in either.
Installed the h/w store bolts used a transmission jack out at the end of the wing with my son pedaling that we simply lined them so I installed as many as I could before tapping to much on them and went carefull on the bottom ones so as not to paint my self in a corner.
Installed the right wing first however
And one away a bit

next i need to bleed the brakes, finish wiring the wings install p/rods.

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Willy-

Congratulations on getting the wings on permanently. I just helped a local builder do his today. Those close tolerance bolts aren't that bad at all as long as you have a big enough hammer!!!
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

weezbad
Class C

Post by weezbad »

TomC wrote:I'll trade airplane moving bills with anyone. To explain: I have a friend that owns a body shop in a town 120 miles from my house. When it was time to paint the fuselage, I decided to use a flatbed moving truck. Since the painting would take a couple of days, the truck would have to make two ROUND trips, one to take the fuselage and one to return it to the airport. The total mileage was around 480 miles (4 x 120). When included with the drivers cost, the total came to around $1,100. This was in addition to the $100 it cost to rent a large cargo van to transport the wings. All this being said, I am happy with the results and I guess thats all that counts.

good night, thats a pile of trouble/money. you want it worse than i do but i guess you cant quit this late in the game. way to stick it out. :bang: :bang:

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Sweet!! I cant wait to get that far!

TomC
Class E

Post by TomC »

good night, thats a pile of trouble/money. you want it worse than i do but i guess you cant quit this late in the game. way to stick it out.
While the moving bill was a tough one to swallow, the paint job bill was only around $2k because all I had to pay for was the paint. The labor was free. This made my paint job around $3,500 which I don't think is too bad. If I had tried to paint it myself, it would have been a disaster. I have GREAT respect for people that paint their own planes!

weezbad
Class C

Post by weezbad »

kinda wierd looking at this page a year later from the time i got sick...hope you all are building on and nearing completion of your projects. good luck too you all especially JPW

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

I'm sure it is Weez, we miss ya, but life is all about priorities and sometimes we have to make changes even if we would rather not.

Glad you checked in, have you had any rides in other peoples planes ?
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

weezbad
Class C

Post by weezbad »

NO, i have not, i am a bit scared of flying due to having lived through the collapsed lung..a bleb (a bleb is a collection of air within the layers of the visceral pleura. ) can rupture in an unpressurized cabin and cause major trouble. i doubt seriously that would happen bit i dont know how much i want to wager on that......keep pounding those rivets ...im sure its worth it. i dont miss building but i miss the airport and flying. i also miss this place and the VAF