VS-rudder conflict

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 7/7A.
gsimatos
Class E

VS-rudder conflict

Post by gsimatos »

I just hung the rudder on the vert stab. My travel right and left should be 35 degrees but when I get to about 30 degrees the sides of the rudder hit the inside aspect of the VS skin. I think if I shave about 1/16 off the rear edge of the VS skin I would get my full 35 degrees of travel. Have any of you run into this and how did you handle the problem?? thanks gary

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

Double check the distance spec on the plans for the rod end bearings.
You could try extending/adjusting the 3 Rod-End bearings out a wee bit more and see if that helps.
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

weezbad
Class C

Post by weezbad »

check the adjustment, i found them to make a great difference.
william....don't let it beat you down, you are stronger than you think.

painless
Class C

Post by painless »

Don't trim the VS skins. As has been said before, adjust your rod end bearings, and make sure that they are all at the same distance from the face of the Rudder spar.
Jeff Orear
RV6A N782P
Hatz Classic, Welding fuselage
Hatz build log. https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&p ... GNCwv&sid=
Peshtigo, WI

gsimatos
Class E

Post by gsimatos »

I set the rod end distances according to the plans
Top 51/64
Middle 59/64
Bottom 1 inch and 1/16 measuring from the center of the rod end to the Forward surface of the rudder spar. The plans sort of look like you measure from the BACK of the spar (not easy to do with the skin on). Where did you guys measure from? Thanks Gary

weezbad
Class C

Post by weezbad »

it only takes A touch to get the needed clearance....turn them all out a turn the reset the rudder until it clears. or the top in one and the bottom out one with the middle staying the same. make sure you have full engagement of the rod ends and call it done. if it helps call vans. i am sure this will be ther info as well. IIRC the plans and the text contradict each other. also remember the horizontal gap at the top must stay parallel and you may have to turn them some more later.
william....don't let it beat you down, you are stronger than you think.

gsimatos
Class E

Post by gsimatos »

I will try backing out the rod ends tomorrow. Seems to me I only need a little to get everything to clear and I hate the idea of taking anything off the VS skins. I will let ya know how it all goes. thanks for you help you guys G

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

This is an area where your results may vary. When I measured mine I ran a 3/32nds steel rod through the bearings to line them up and sighted the rod for straight. I remember when doing that, that a straight line was more important to me than distance from the spar. You can fudge your rudder out a bit without harming anything and you'll have all the swing you want.

gsimatos
Class E

Post by gsimatos »

I backed out the rod ends half a turn now the clearance is reasonable. Thanks to every one for advice. Cheers G