Checking in to say hello

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 7/7A.
Joew
Class G

Checking in to say hello

Post by Joew »

I just wanted to check in and say thank-you. I have recently started on my RV-7 and am working on the empannage (still on the HS to be exact, almost ready to rivet them together). I wanted to thank-you for your comments and notes. I have learned much from lurking on the site and you guys have kept me from falling into some mistakes. Thanks.....

When you started riveting the HS, how did you hold it still? I noticed Checkoway built a jig, and several other sites have done so as well. Any suggestions? Any other hints and ideas? Thanks in advance

Joe

weezbad
Class C

Post by weezbad »

i simply laid it on a table and reached inside of it and went..some will take a qt or gallon ziplock bag and fill it with sand to lay on it. i use this method often. for closing the hs at the spars the holding fixture ( not really a jig)works well.

btw, glad to have ya. :mrgreen:
william....don't let it beat you down, you are stronger than you think.

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Hey Joe! Thanks for checking in!

You don't need a jig...Dan built his empennage just before the pre-punched/matched hole stuff came out, so he needed a jig.

The whole airplane is "jigless" now.

8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

JohnR
Class B

Post by JohnR »

Glad to have you on board Joe! Enjoy the build on your 7, it is a fun journey.

I just riveted mine on the table and had no problems. The matched hole stuff is great!
JohnR
RV-7A - Fuselage - SOLD, just not supposed to be
Numbers 6:24 - The LORD bless thee, and keep thee

BSwayze
Class C

Post by BSwayze »

Joe, I built mine on the table, too. No problems. I do have one suggestion for you, however. You might consider building the Vertical Stab. first. The VS is easier to reach inside, and just goes together easier and quicker. It's a great place to do your first rivets. Many builders think it should have been first in the suggested "order". It's your plane, you can do it in whatever order you think. I had most of my H.S. together and was waiting for a tech. counselor inspection before closing it up, and while I was waiting for him to come over, I started on the V.S. I actually had it finished first and was wishing I had started there.

Only one man's opinion. YMMV, as they say. :)

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I built it on the table.

And welcome to the group :welcome:
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

Welcome Joe. I just built mine on the bench as well. I did use some blocks and a few clamps to hold it leading edge down a few times to make things easier for me, but I never build a jig to put it in.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

Joew
Class G

HS

Post by Joew »

Sounds great to me. I'd rather keep movin forward than stop to build a jig. Thanks for the guidance. I'm about ready to start riveting the HS. Maybe before I start riveting, I'll start the VS too. So when my tech advisor comes by, he can inspect both.

Joe