tip up canopy release: Yes or No

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 7/7A.
gsimatos
Class E

tip up canopy release: Yes or No

Post by gsimatos »

I am just getting ready to tackle the canopy and I see on many of the builder web sites that the quick release for the canopy is omitted and bolts are used in its place. This would sure simplify things and free up some space behind the panel but I wonder about going away from the original design. Would any of you have some thoughts on this? I would be interested to hear from you. Thanks G

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

I put mine in, but I didn't run it thru the panel. The release "T" handle runs straight down from the mechanism.

This will allow the canopy to come off easily if maintenance is needed.
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

Ain't using it because I want my radio stack to go right thru that area. Chad's solution is very cool if you don't need anything to go thru there.
Brantel (Brian Chesteen),
RV12-IS, #121606, N912BC - Building Now!
RV10, #41942, N????? - Project Sold
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB - SOLD

weezbad
Class C

Post by weezbad »

installed mine per plans but,,,, i may not cut the slits in the fwd upper skin. :oops:
william....don't let it beat you down, you are stronger than you think.

gsimatos
Class E

Post by gsimatos »

Thanks you guys. Chad I was wondering how the "T" handle retracts the pins in that position in the photo?? Thanks G

1:1_Scale
Class D

Post by 1:1_Scale »

Looks like you just reach under the panel and give it a twist? :)
Kelly
RV-7 Empennage done, wings done, fuselage to QB stage
1947 Stinson108-1 flying

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Yep, just give it a twist, and it releases the pins. It's really easy to do without the front deck skin on, but once that is in place, you need pliers to get it to budge.

This is not my original idea...I stole it from Bill Repucci. Works great though!
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

cnpeters
Class E

Post by cnpeters »

But getting back to the original post - how many people have really used this feature for future maintenance? I'm not sure I've heard anyone needing or using it. Is it a nice thing to have if you have the room?
Carl Peters
RV-9A
N92RV (reserved)
Fuselage
http://www.mykitlog.com/cnpeters/

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

With there being so few completions on this board, we probably won't get a good sample here.

In my case, I did not need that subpanel space, so it was an easy choice to put it in, just in case I ever did need to remove the canopy.

I do know of one person that said he removes his canopy at each condition inspection, but I doubt that's the majority.
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

gsimatos
Class E

Post by gsimatos »

Chad,
Seems to me with the excellent exposure of the "behind the panel" area, your arrangement might be the best of both worlds. Even as designed, it would be dicey to attempt to jetison the canopy in flight, don't you think??

aparchment
Class C

Jettison the Hatch -- not a big deal!

Post by aparchment »

Aw heck, who needs a head? Thinking is so overrated.
gsimatos wrote:Chad,
Seems to me with the excellent exposure of the "behind the panel" area, your arrangement might be the best of both worlds. Even as designed, it would be dicey to attempt to jetison the canopy in flight, don't you think??

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

gsimatos wrote:Chad,
The problem I see in jettisoning the canopy in flight is the number of things that have to go right to get it to work.

1) Twist the rear top handle.
2) Un-attach BOTH canopy struts (these could theoretically rip out, but it's never been done, and I doubt they would let go).
3) Pull the handle, and HOPE that the fiberglass covers over the hinges break...you did cut the skins, and glass over them, right?

Oh, and you wear a parachute all the time too, right? What good is a canopy jettison to get out of the airplane if you're jumping to your death anyway?

And if the canopy does come off, does your head go with it?

There's also the argument that the jettison is not for inflight release. That it's there for quick ground egress. Doing all those steps above is not quick...but it could work if your not upside down for some reason. If you're right side up, why not just open it normally?

Those are my thoughts on the subject... :) :dunno:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

weezbad
Class C

Post by weezbad »

i was thinking the canopy may leave the aircraft from lifting up in the front. not from opening at the back.if so i wouldnt worry som much about the head removal part.

as far as jumping to your death and at the risk of being totally morbid..
ever seen a burn victim? the jumping will result in a body to recover. the staying in usually resulsts in parts that look like halloween coustme parts, as it was described to me by a friend that recovers victims from crash scenes.

oh and what if the plane were on fire? i really dont want to burn to death. at least this way i can jump and close my eyes for a minute. or take ten times as long and burn to death.

moderators , feel free( i know you do ) to remove if to graphic, i understand . :oops:

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

If I was in this situation and I was going to jump out without a chute...(Yes I would if I knew there were no other way, burning is not my idea of a way to go), I would pull that sucker up to a stall, open the latch and push that canopy up and get out. It would open if you slowed it down.
Brantel (Brian Chesteen),
RV12-IS, #121606, N912BC - Building Now!
RV10, #41942, N????? - Project Sold
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB - SOLD

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

I do agree...plane on fire, I'm jumping. I also agree that the canopy will open at a slow enough speed, so the jettison function is irrelevant if opening the canopy.

There is a *slight* chance one could live from a jump without a 'chute as well. It has happened...land in a tree just right...through the roof of a hay barn...happen to land on a giant airbag for stunts... :wink:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

weezbad
Class C

Post by weezbad »

cjensen wrote:I do agree...plane on fire, I'm jumping. I also agree that the canopy will open at a slow enough speed, so the jettison function is irrelevant if opening the canopy.

There is a *slight* chance one could live from a jump without a 'chute as well. It has happened...land in a tree just right...through the roof of a hay barn...happen to land on a giant airbag for stunts... :wink:
Chad i am impressed yet again at your thinking...an optimist to the last shred of hope... ........stunt air bag wow should i end up falling as previously mentioned i will keep my options open..and here i was gonna close my eyes...wow you could have saved my life...

THE FIRST TIME I MEET YOU I WILL BUY YOU A 6 PACK OF FRUITY BEER OF YOUR CHOICE. :lol: your almost on my hero list dude.

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

ALMOST!!?? :o :lol: :lol: :lol:

You never know what's below! :wink: :lol:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Hey guys, I had to say something about this because it is something I have been stewing over too.

In the not too distant past I posted some pics of Jack R's plane. I was talking to him and saying that I wanted to use the center of the panel for my radio stack. The ''hat part'' (part shaped like a hat that stiffens the sub panel) is in the way. I suggested relocating the jettison hardware and moving it 5-6'' to the passenger's side. He said, ''You mean like I did''? (pics are in my gallery)

Needless to say, I want to have my cake and eat it too. It takes a bit of modification, but I am going to try it... regardless of the fact that I will likely never ever use the release mechanism in flight.

...my two!

(WOW! that was hard to type on this palmtop device! You won't see too many replies from me while I am on the road!)

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

weezbad
Class C

Post by weezbad »

captain_john wrote: ...my two!

(WOW! that was hard to type on this palmtop device! You won't see too many replies from me while I am on the road!)

:) CJ
i feel your pain. :bang: :bang: :bang:

Rockyjs
Class G

Post by Rockyjs »

During the build I've removed the canopy a few times. I ended up cutting the T handle into a short L and terminated it at the sub-panel with an Adel clamp. I decided that I wouldn't jettison the canopy in-flight so my release is installed for maintenance only. I know the canopy will be coming off after phase I for painting. If you ever need to do panel work at a later date, it's very convenient to pull the handle and remove the canopy for great access.