Wings finished! Fuselage started.

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 7/7A.
BSwayze
Class C

Wings finished! Fuselage started.

Post by BSwayze »

Well, in spite of two weddings in our family this summer (my own on June 22, and my son and his bride on Sept. 14th) I managed to keep on building throughout the entire time... albeit somewhat slower. An hour here and an hour or two there. On the landmark day of Sept. 11th, I was able to call my wings finished! (except the fiberglass tips, of course). Here are some pics of the last efforts wrapping it all up.

Before closing up the wings, I wanted to install the ports and tubing for my Angle-of-Attack system. It can be done later, but greater access makes it easier now:

Lower and upper ports in the leading edge of the wing, pro-sealed and bolted into place. Tubing installed and routed back to the wing root.

For now, the tubing bundle will be left here at the wing root, until mating the wings to the fuse much later on.

I also installed the brackets in the right wing for my Tru-Trak autopilot servo. This requires replacing one of the brackets on the aileron bellcrank. I don't have the servo yet. But it will easily go in once I get it. This was so much easier now, before the bottom skins were riveted on:

And finally, on to the riveting of the bottom skins. Jamie helped me rivet some of the difficult areas, but most of the bottom skins were riveted solo. By the way, this is also a good shot of the storage place I built for the HS, kept for now in v-blocks on the crossbeam of the wing cradle. Works great.

Riveting the bottom wing skins solo can be done with great results if you take your time. I'm very happy with the results I got. Sometimes, depending on which way the internal rib flange points, it requires left-hand riveting:

You can find ways to reach through holes in the ribs or the access openings to reach each rivet. I used my small tungsten bucking bar. It's worth its weight in gold! Reaching through holes has it's price, though. Here are some of the marks left on my arm:

I know there are ways to cushion against this, but my arms barely fit through some of the smaller holes in the ribs, and I didn't have any spare room for cushioning material in some places. Small price to pay, all in all. I'm so glad to have the skins on for good!

ALL DONE!!

Back in the cradle, I put the ailerons and flaps back in place. One major milestone. One happy builder.

Now, on to the fuselage...

I have most of the firewall finished. I messed up one of the corner gussets by countersinking the wrong side for the skin dimples. Fortunately, it's an inexpensive part. I reordered one from Vans.

Now I'm working on the big F-704 center section bulkhead. This is fun!
Last edited by BSwayze on Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Great pictures Bruce!! Everything is looking great!! You will LOVE the fuselage if you enjoyed the wings. Keep the pics coming! 8) 8) 8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

weezbad
Class C

Post by weezbad »

very nice bruce. i laughed when i saw your battle wounds. movin right along eh. 8)
william....don't let it beat you down, you are stronger than you think.

BSwayze
Class C

Post by BSwayze »

Thanks, Chad!

Thanks, William,

Yeah... I'm all healed up now, fortunately. :mrgreen:

BTW, I'm sure enjoying your reports on the painting of your plane. It looks great! I've thought all along that I'll be doing that, too. But it's down the road quite a ways for me yet. It's very motivating.

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

Congrats Bruce on the progress, the wedding, and finding somebody that shares the excitement of flight. A great combination for sure.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

weezbad
Class C

Post by weezbad »

BSwayze wrote:BTW, I'm sure enjoying your reports on the painting of your plane. It looks great! I've thought all along that I'll be doing that, too. But it's down the road quite a ways for me yet. It's very motivating.
well i certainly am flattered to know i've motivated some folks. :mrgreen:
I am sure you can do it but it seems like alot of work to me, even though i know i would do it again. :roll:

my biggest problem is i hate do overs of any type...really saps the excitement right out of me. i will work my arse off but when it doesnt work out i get reeeealy frustrated and discouraged. the flipside is i become even more dertermined than before. :bang: after pissing and moaning and whinning for a week or so :roll: ...yes i suppose i am quite a drama king. :oops:
william....don't let it beat you down, you are stronger than you think.

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Nice progress. Let us know how you like working on the fuse as compared to the wings.
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

BSwayze
Class C

Post by BSwayze »

Well, I thought I would put in an update since my last posting. Yes, Spike, working on the fuse is great! Lots of fabricating of little parts. My little $99 bandsaw has really been paying for itself. My youngest son Daniel was home from college for the holidays so I took advantage of his help and we riveted the aft fuse together. After all the work on the firewall and bulkheads, it's exciting to see something BIG coming together:

First, the side skins are riveted to the bulkheads and J-channel stringers:

Then we flipped it over. Daniel riveted while I sat underneath bucking:

Daniel does excellent riveting! I'm very happy with these results:

Looks like he's happy, too. All smiles. I'm very fortunate to have such a great kid and riveting partner:

Flipped back upright, I fabricated and added the rudder stops:

Now, Daniel is back at school and I'm working on the seat ribs.

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Excellent. I am getting closer to closing the wings up. I can't wait! :thumbsup: Excellent job dude.[/list]

BSwayze
Class C

Center Section joined to Aft Fuse!

Post by BSwayze »

Well, I had a HUGE day of progress with my fuselage kit. Another mini-milestone has been reached. I got busy Sunday afternoon and finished cutting the slots in the longerons. With both of them in place in the aft fuse and the skin clecoed back up to the longerons, My son Daniel helped me flip it over. Then, with his assistance, we carefully joined the center section to the aft fuse. It is now joined and clecoed together! I know many have said this before, but this thing is now BIG!

I couldn't resist getting under the thing and taking this shot:

I managed to get the forward side skins clecoed on next, and the arm rests fitted and drilled. The fit of my longerons turned out to be perfect. All that careful bending and twising last December really paid off.

There are more pictures and details on my log entry for the day here:
http://www.europa.com/~swayze/RV-7A/.../20090329.html
Bruce Swayze
Portland, Oregon
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
RV-7A Working on Firewall Forward

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Fantastic!! That is a huge milestone!

8) 8) 8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

painless
Class C

Post by painless »

Had to laugh Bruce. You sacrificed your own skin for the skins of your wings. :)

Good to see some major progress. You'll be sitting in that fuse making airplane noises before you know it!

I STILL can't get over how you guys build these match-drilled kits! Spoiled is what ya are!! SPOILED I say!!!!
Jeff Orear
RV6A N782P
Hatz Classic, Welding fuselage
Hatz build log. https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&p ... GNCwv&sid=
Peshtigo, WI

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

Nice progress Bruce. I'm looking forward to hopefully starting my fuse later this year.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Schwing!

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Bruce, you are on FIRE!!!

Keep it up!!!

The bandsaw is a good tool to have for the fuse!

Looks great!

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

BSwayze
Class C

Post by BSwayze »

Thanks, guys, for all the comments. I appreciate it a lot!
Bruce Swayze
Portland, Oregon
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
RV-7A Working on Firewall Forward