Panel Contemplation

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 7/7A.
aparchment
Class C

Panel Contemplation

Post by aparchment »

Mulling over some options for my IFR panel with redundancy . . .

My current top choice:

Alternative 1:

Alternative 2:

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Antony-

Why have a CDI? The AFS will give you a HSI. If you're thinking of redundancy, the mechanical CDI will crap out before the AFS unit will. Plus, you have the x96 to back you up.

You show a 2 1/4" altimeter in 1 and 2. Be aware they are super expen$ive. Like $800+ for a Winter.

Panel 1 (and part of 2, for the AP) shows the CDI and autopilot on the right side.You will have to reach on the other side of the panel to set the OBS or AP settings.

<GRT PLUG>
Lastly, since I am a GRT fanatic, why AFS? You can get dual Sport GRT screens for about the price of the one AFS EFIS+EMS Screen. Plus with the GRT you can have one screen for the HSI, the other for the EFIS! Plus free Map + AOA + Approach Plates! And you can get rid of the CDI. Big $avings and get more redundancy.
</GRT PLUG>
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

aparchment
Class C

Good thoughts

Post by aparchment »

Hey Mike:

Good thoughts. My responses:

1) Yup, the G106A is for redundancy, and because I prefer the way it shows course deviation, particularly on an ILS. I guess I am just used to it from what I fly now. Besides, I already bought it. As far as having the 496 for redundancy -- true for general course guidance, but it will not help me out on an ILS.

2) Ya, the altimeter is expensive. I may reconsider, but I really like being able to have all of the gauges fit on the right in a compact setup.

3) That is an excellent point about reaching across myself for setting either the altimeter or the autopilot. I have to give that some thought. I could always switch hands on the stick and use my left hand. In one of the planes I fly now I have to reach across myself to start the timer, and it doesn't bother me. I am definitely someone who prefers to keep movement simple in an IFR environment though.

4) As far as why AFS. When I made the purchase decision they seemed like the best option. I like the Crossbow AHRS in particular. I still feel pretty good about my decision, but you make good points about the level of redundancy that two GRTs get you. I will have to take another look at GRT before I do the panel build.

Antony
bullojm1 wrote:Antony-

Why have a CDI? The AFS will give you a HSI. If you're thinking of redundancy, the mechanical CDI will crap out before the AFS unit will. Plus, you have the x96 to back you up.

You show a 2 1/4" altimeter in 1 and 2. Be aware they are super expen$ive. Like $800+ for a Winter.

Panel 1 (and part of 2, for the AP) shows the CDI and autopilot on the right side.You will have to reach on the other side of the panel to set the OBS or AP settings.

<GRT PLUG>
Lastly, since I am a GRT fanatic, why AFS? You can get dual Sport GRT screens for about the price of the one AFS EFIS+EMS Screen. Plus with the GRT you can have one screen for the HSI, the other for the EFIS! Plus free Map + AOA + Approach Plates! And you can get rid of the CDI. Big $avings and get more redundancy.
</GRT PLUG>

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Re: Good thoughts

Post by bullojm1 »

Antony,

Some more thoughts:
aparchment wrote: 1) Yup, the G106A is for redundancy, and because I prefer the way it shows course deviation, particularly on an ILS. I guess I am just used to it from what I fly now. Besides, I already bought it. As far as having the 496 for redundancy -- true for general course guidance, but it will not help me out on an ILS.
I think the 430 can only drive either a CDI or an EFIS -- not both at the same time. The nice thing about an EFIS taking the feed from the 430 is you get a HSI. You should probably call up Rob at AFS and/or Carlos at GRT to figure out if you lose anything. But I hear you on the redundancy factor. True, you do own it, but you won't lose that much if you sell it. Heck, I sold 1/2 my panel (And I think Chad sold his whole panel a couple times over!).
aparchment wrote: 2) Ya, the altimeter is expensive. I may reconsider, but I really like being able to have all of the gauges fit on the right in a compact setup.
I originally bought all 2 1/4" instruments. All I can say is the ones I bought (UMA's) were pretty cheesy. Light, cheap, looked like they would break. If you can squeeze the larger ones in there, it might be worth it from a quality perspective.

aparchment wrote: 4) As far as why AFS. When I made the purchase decision they seemed like the best option. I like the Crossbow AHRS in particular. I still feel pretty good about my decision, but you make good points about the level of redundancy that two GRTs get you. I will have to take another look at GRT before I do the panel build.
AFS definitely has a quality AHRS. When AFS came out with their EFIS, I knew then it was going in my panel. Well, when it came time to write the check, I took another look to what others offered. The Sport model of the GRT line was a lot of bang for the buck. Plus the GRT fit in my panel perfectly. I couldn't of laid out my panel like I wanted to with the AFS.

Also, where are you putting your switches?
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

aparchment
Class C

Re: Good thoughts

Post by aparchment »

From what I have been told the 430W can power both the G106 and the EFIS since it has ARINC and serial outputs.

Switches will go at the bottom under the EFIS. I will need to either remake or extend the stock panel by 1-1.5 inches.
bullojm1 wrote:Antony,

Some more thoughts:
aparchment wrote: 1) Yup, the G106A is for redundancy, and because I prefer the way it shows course deviation, particularly on an ILS. I guess I am just used to it from what I fly now. Besides, I already bought it. As far as having the 496 for redundancy -- true for general course guidance, but it will not help me out on an ILS.
I think the 430 can only drive either a CDI or an EFIS -- not both at the same time. The nice thing about an EFIS taking the feed from the 430 is you get a HSI. You should probably call up Rob at AFS and/or Carlos at GRT to figure out if you lose anything. But I hear you on the redundancy factor. True, you do own it, but you won't lose that much if you sell it. Heck, I sold 1/2 my panel (And I think Chad sold his whole panel a couple times over!).
aparchment wrote: 2) Ya, the altimeter is expensive. I may reconsider, but I really like being able to have all of the gauges fit on the right in a compact setup.
I originally bought all 2 1/4" instruments. All I can say is the ones I bought (UMA's) were pretty cheesy. Light, cheap, looked like they would break. If you can squeeze the larger ones in there, it might be worth it from a quality perspective.

aparchment wrote: 4) As far as why AFS. When I made the purchase decision they seemed like the best option. I like the Crossbow AHRS in particular. I still feel pretty good about my decision, but you make good points about the level of redundancy that two GRTs get you. I will have to take another look at GRT before I do the panel build.
AFS definitely has a quality AHRS. When AFS came out with their EFIS, I knew then it was going in my panel. Well, when it came time to write the check, I took another look to what others offered. The Sport model of the GRT line was a lot of bang for the buck. Plus the GRT fit in my panel perfectly. I couldn't of laid out my panel like I wanted to with the AFS.

Also, where are you putting your switches?