HP fuel pump plumbing

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 7/7A.
Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

HP fuel pump plumbing

Post by Spike »

*sigh* guess Ill just have to hold on to my $200 bucks a little longer ...

Spike

Submitted via email

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

that is a sweet looking set-up, but at 2x the price I have in mine, I'd have to pass anyway.
Brian
Townsend, MT

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Just got home and started unpacking now. I am repacking and trailering the boat to Maine on thursday but I hope to get in some work on the fuel pump before we leave!

When I do, I will post pics of the install.

Brad, tell us now how you are "off" of the Aveo product and how you will be keeping the Andair.

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

BSwayze
Class C

Post by BSwayze »

I just took my Van's fuel valve back to them about a week ago and traded it in for the Andair. With the credit I got, it only cost me about $178 to upgrade to the Andair.
Bruce Swayze
Portland, Oregon
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
RV-7A Working on Firewall Forward

briand
Class E

Post by briand »

hydroguy2 wrote:
bullojm1 wrote:Brian-

Looks great! I did mine in a similar amount of time and wasted material. Definitely one of those tasks that u spend more time worrying about than doing. Oh wait, that's all the tasks on the project!
LOL yep I waste more time worrying about tackling something than doing it. Also I have trouble actually making a decision about what to buy.

But managed to plumb the wings to valve tonight. Turned out good enough, I won't be buying the braided lines from Bonaco....what actually saved some money!!!

OK I didn't really save any money, since I spent $300 buying knick knacks off VAF. (throttle quadrant and remote Dynon stuff)

How is the line routed to the engine? Are there any return lines to the fuel tanks? I can't see where that second line goes off the bottom of the T that's connected to the tank selector valve.
RV-8 Fuse/Finish

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

That pic was taken before the line was run forward for the engine supply. there is now a line which connects from the aft end of the pump and runs under the whole assembly to the firewall.

Also no return line, as I hadn't decided which FI system I was running. Silverhawks don't need one, AFP hooks back to the suction line I think.
Brian
Townsend, MT

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

captain_john wrote:Just got home and started unpacking now. I am repacking and trailering the boat to Maine on thursday but I hope to get in some work on the fuel pump before we leave!

When I do, I will post pics of the install.

Brad, tell us now how you are "off" of the Aveo product and how you will be keeping the Andair.

:) CJ
OK, Looks like I am back from Maine now! My ANdair install came out pretty good looking if I do say so myself.

It isn't the way Andair says to mount it, but I like my setup better.

I think mine is just "leaner" materials-wise and certainly simpler. Also if you screwed up on floor stiffener spacing (like me) this is a good fix! It isn't about your mistakes! It is how you FIX THEM!!!

:oops: CJ
RV-7

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Looks nice CEEJAY! Those Andair valves are a nice cabin clean up and space saver...
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

Thermos
Class D

Post by Thermos »

Lookin' good John...weather permitting, I'll be down there tonight and I want to take some detailed pictures so I can steal...er, borrow your design!
Dave Setser
Avionics, Firewall Forward
http://www.mightyrv.com
Putting the "slow" in slow-build since 2004

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

...and what it looks like installed:

8) CJ
RV-7

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

dang that is a slick set up. I'm still finding oozing fittings in my tube spaghetti fuel pump. If I had your money I'd rip & replace mine out tomorrow.
Brian
Townsend, MT

Joew
Class G

Fuel pump plumbing question

Post by Joew »

I'm nearing the point of needing to pull the trigger of purchasing the high pressure pump and fuel valve vs going with a carb engine. So, looking at the FI for resale as well as aerobatic reasons, do I need a duplex valve for the fuel/vapor return like ECI shows? Why and why not? Why the difference?

How is the Andair pump working out? is it a better alternative that the AFP pump? Is there a vendor other than Vans that sells the full package of the pump, selector valve and gascolator? My head is flipping spinning, especially in light of the engines prices i've seen lately.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

bruceh
Class D

Post by bruceh »

Airflow Performance has a new style pump that looks very similar to the EFII pump that I put in my RV-9A.

Here is a picture of the newer AFP pump.

You don't need a duplex valve for Airflow Performance FI, or other Bendix type fuel injection systems. However, if I was going to be building my tanks again, I would definitely stick in a return line just to have options in the future. The AFP purge valve requires a return line and having something plumbed up already would have been nice.
Bruce Hill
RV-9A N5771H flying over 1100 hours!
Build Log at http://www.overthehills.com/RV-9A-Project
Blog at https://flyingoverthehills.wordpress.com/
EAA Tech Counselor, A&P