Horizontal Stabilizer Question

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 7/7A.
scottT
Class G

Horizontal Stabilizer Question

Post by scottT »

Assembling the HS I noticed that the fwd flange standoff of the forward end of the Inner Aft Rib (HS-405) creates a situation where the ED of the skin flange on same rib is only 1.5 at best. The 405 rib gets location from the Forward Spar HS-702.

Checking the drawings, both the View B-B and the Plan view phantom lines of this offending rib appear to agree with this.

This flange can not be adjusted to compensate, as this would pull the rib away from the rear HS-603 spar.

Has everyone decided that 1.5 should be OK. Would be nicer if the offending flange was the sandwiched one.

What do you all think.

Thank you,

Scott

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I havent' built a 7 tail, its very different (at least the HS is) from the 9. What I can tell you is that as you get closer to the end you will be a bit less fanatical about edge distances. There are places in the kit where you really can't make edge distance requirements even by the plans. Van's cuts some of the specs tightly later on.

Thats not to say that you don't constantly watch for it, but you will find times where you are right on the hairy edge or just flat out can't do it.

Spike
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

Been there too, that is the design, nothing you can do about expect learn that rules/guidelines are sometimes broken. I worried about so much I did the math to calculate what could be done with that design, and it turns out it can not meet the normal edge distance requirement no matter how hard you look at it. As they say, build on.

There are very few places this kind of thing happens and it is correct to question yourself if you see something that doesn't seem right, but this is one of those few places, by the way, could catch on noticing it.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

scottT
Class G

Post by scottT »

I am grateful for the feedback. Just trying to make sure I am not missing something.

Thank you,

Scott