Fuse-mounted antenna doubler pics

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 7/7A.
Thermos
Class D

Fuse-mounted antenna doubler pics

Post by Thermos »

All,

While we're riding out the remnants of Irene, I decided to fabricate some stiffeners for the Delta Pop Aviation comm antennas I plan to use. The antennas are going in the outermost left/right seat rib bays, just behind the wing spar. Here are a couple of pics...

AC43-13 mentions tying in both sides of an antenna stiffener to stringers or other structure, but trying to do that would have been awkward with the curved outboard seat rib - so I'm tying the stiffener to the spar rear bulkhead and belly skin rivets. A friend did this on his RV-7 and it seemed to work ok for him.

Any comments? Am I missing something? Feedback would be really appreciated before I start drilling holes in the ribs and skin.

Dave
Dave Setser
Avionics, Firewall Forward
http://www.mightyrv.com
Putting the "slow" in slow-build since 2004

Vlad
Class E

Post by Vlad »

Dave,
Great idea. The only thing I would not do is bottom skin rivets. Antenna attach bolts/screws will give you necessary strength and good contact. just an opinion.
RV-9A N666BK flying 4,500+ hours since 2011

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Wow Dave!

That sucker ain't goin' NOWHERE!!!

They do look good on the belly.

Here is a picture of mine:

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Wicked Stick
Class B

Re: Fuse-mounted antenna doubler pics

Post by Wicked Stick »

Thermos wrote:All,

While we're riding out the remnants of Irene, I decided to fabricate some stiffeners for the Delta Pop Aviation comm antennas I plan to use. The antennas are going in the outermost left/right seat rib bays, just behind the wing spar. Here are a couple of pics...

AC43-13 mentions tying in both sides of an antenna stiffener to stringers or other structure, but trying to do that would have been awkward with the curved outboard seat rib - so I'm tying the stiffener to the spar rear bulkhead and belly skin rivets. A friend did this on his RV-7 and it seemed to work ok for him.

Any comments? Am I missing something? Feedback would be really appreciated before I start drilling holes in the ribs and skin.

Dave
If you wanted a bit more stiffness to the doubler, you could bend a flange or add a piece of angle to the other two edges where they are laying flat.
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

Thermos
Class D

Rethinking the doublers...

Post by Thermos »

Thanks everybody! After reading your posts and thinking about this for awhile, I'm going to wait and mount these things once I start installing systems. It may mean doing a lot of pop-rivet dimpling, but so be it.

I'll probably move them aft a bit like you did, John. If I left them in the current position I doubt there would be any interference with the aileron pushtubes, but I'd rather not find that out when it's too late. If I move them aft, I'll probably put an angle on at least one free edge.

I'm probably overdoing it a bit on the rivets, but Delta Pop antenna studs don't provide as much side-to-side support as the Comant mounts do - so some additional support from the rivets probably won't hurt.

Dave
Dave Setser
Avionics, Firewall Forward
http://www.mightyrv.com
Putting the "slow" in slow-build since 2004