Thoughts on Pitot Tubes...

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 7/7A.
RV7A
Class E

Thoughts on Pitot Tubes...

Post by RV7A »

I'm working on my wings so it seems I need to pick a pitot tube now.

This airplane is a VFR sport plane for me. I fly hundreds of hours of IMC and log plenty of apporaches at work every year so I have no interest in doing that in my sport plane.

So, building a VFR only airplane, what are your recomendations on pitot tubes? Does the stock bent aluminum tube work well? Should I buy a Cessna type tube?

I wish I would have remembered to look at pitot tubes on the RV's this year at Oshkosh! I spent all my time looking at everyones tail pieces!

If the stock homemade tube works well enough, then that's what I'd like to go with!

DaAV8R
Class G

Stock tube

Post by DaAV8R »

I went with the stock tube but I'm not flying so I can't report any results. I have not heard of problems with the stock setup. I did buy the stainless variety from Vans. I don't remember exactly but it was only $10.00 or $15.00. Seemed worth the money.

Robert

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

IT WORKS GREAT!!!

I have the Falcon on the seven that isn't flying yet but the six I am flying has a chunk of stainless tube that works just fine.

Sooooo... my two...

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Vlad
Class E

Post by Vlad »

I put fife hunnerd hours on stock stainless tube Van sells and no wear so far :)
RV-9A N666BK flying 4,500+ hours since 2011

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Vlad wrote:I put fife hunnerd hours on stock stainless tube Van sells and no wear so far :)
One seagull did come close to it, though!

:mrgreen: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

DaAV8R
Class G

Post by DaAV8R »

Vlad wrote:I put fife hunnerd hours on stock stainless tube Van sells and no wear so far :)
I think you're supposed to send in your pitot each fife hunnerd hours for a checkup. Sounds like your due. I think there is a service bulletin on the rivet in the pitot couplings or something like that :dunno:

Robert

RV7A
Class E

Post by RV7A »

Great thanks everyone! Looks like I'll be saving money and not buying a fancy pitot tube!

Vlad
Class E

Post by Vlad »

captain_john wrote:
One seagull did come close to it, though!

:mrgreen: CJ
I won the battle :lol: not sure I could climb fast enough if I had heavy pitot tube...

RV-9A N666BK flying 4,500+ hours since 2011