Canopy Fairing for tipper

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 7/7A.
timotb
Class E

Canopy Fairing for tipper

Post by timotb »

Anyone know if there are any after market canopy fairings for the forward transition on an RV7 tip up?

I found this one for the slidder>>> http://www.docstoc.com/docs/91048710/RV ... RING-(PDF)

I'm kicking around the idea of manufacturing more than one if there is a demand.

A fairing should be an easier way to to address the aesthetics of transitioning the canopy to metal without the time and mess.

Comments?

aparchment
Class C

To think about

Post by aparchment »

One concern about using a fairing for the windshield to front skin is that anything you come up with will need to provide a substantive chemical and mechanical bond in order to hold the front of the canopy down when it is in the tipped up position. Without any chemical/mechanical hold down pressure at this front joint the weight of the open canopy falls on the relatively flimsy side joints where the front frame assembly meets the side rails. I am not sure why Van's didn't increase the thickness and length of the doubler at the side rail to front assembly joint, but I assume there was some good engineering behind it.
RV-7A Builder
Antony

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

The reason the fairing kind of works for the slider, is the roll bar is the same on all of them since it's factory made. Many people using the available fairing still end up having to chop it up a bit to fit the base of the wind screen. This is where the problem lies for the tipper...everyone's windscreen base will be slightly different. I've two of them and neither one of them were the same. Actually, if you looked at the details, they probably weren't even close.

Not trying to shoot down an idea, just saying the tip ups are all different, and a molded fairing will more than likely need to be modified by the end user.
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com