Fuel Float Senders

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 7/7A.
RV7A
Class E

Fuel Float Senders

Post by RV7A »

For those of you using the fuel float senders, did you use the huge black rubber O-ring or did you just use tank sealant under the metal part?

Joe Parish
Class D

Post by Joe Parish »

I left the gasket out and went with just pro seal. When I went to test the tanks with Vans ballon test one held great for 24 hours called that one good. The other one I had trouble keeping the fuel cap from leaking so I put five gallons of fuel in each one and set them in every position possible for hours to see if they would leak. I found no leaks on either tank. I am a long way from flying.

The threads and web sites I researched convinced me to leave the gasket out. Time will tell if that was a good decision.
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

I used the rubber gasket and proseal on my RV-6A. No problems.

BSwayze
Class C

Post by BSwayze »

That's what I did on mine, too. I used both. Not flying yet, but when I tested them, the balloons held air for a good 3 days before I finally took them off. :)
Bruce Swayze
Portland, Oregon
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
RV-7A Working on Firewall Forward

Doakes
Class E

Post by Doakes »

Guys,
Only a thought, My 7A has both fuel senders that won't work. The fix is to remove the sender from the tank. I read about a builder that had to remove the fuel senders and they were installed with pro seal. It was a very tough job. He said that he had to heat the sealant with a heat gun to soften the pro-seal and very carefully use a putty knife to release the sender, with the wings installed. He re-installed them with another sealant. I do not remember what it was now. Drat that old age!!!!!
Mine have to come out and I will use a different sealer to reinstall. maybe my wife read the article.
Fly high :)