rivet not flush around radius of elevator leading edge

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 7/7A.
stevewiz
Class E

rivet not flush around radius of elevator leading edge

Post by stevewiz »

Hi everyone, well we are coming to the end of the empennage and are rolling the leading edge of the elevator. Fought with it for a long time and got it riveted with no gaps in the skins between the rivets. The problem is that the rivets are not very flush going around the radius. I did edge roll and that could be part of my problem as the holes are very close to the bend line.
My thoughts at this time is to drill the rivets out and use my squeezer with 2 flats in it at each hole to flatten the area and re-rivet it together and see if I can get the whole head of the rivet to sit flush.
Any input appreciated. Also after careful thought we decided to and completed the SB 14-02-05 on all 4 locations since the leading edges were not rolled yet and were a little more accessible.
RV-7 N71SW reserved
Started on 10/8/2013
Working on Fuselage as of 5/10/15 95%done
started finish kit on 7/1/16
engine on order from Barett.Will be shown at their EAA booth and then delivered to us after show

plbarrett2004
Class E

Post by plbarrett2004 »

It would help if you can provide a few pictures, but my initial reaction is to say that I would probably leave it as it is and not drill them out.

If you do decide to drill them out... pop rivets can rotate during drilling. There is a serrated pop-rivet removal tool that will allow you to drill the correct depth and prevent rivet rotation available from Aircraft Spruce. (http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/t ... -03368.php)

I don't own the tool myself, but I do own its sister (http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/t ... emoval.php) for regular rivets and that tool has been absolutely invaluable.

Cheers,
Peter
Peter Barrett
CFI, CFII, MEI
RV-8 Fastback - Fuselage in progress
Build Log @ papalimabravo.com
SEMPER FIDELIS

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Steve,

I don't think I would worry about it if I were you! When the elevators get installed on the horizontal stabilizer, nobody will ever see the rivets. I would say to build on! Perhaps try another method on the other elevator and compare the results. No reason to drill anything out now - you might do more harm than good!

If you post a picture, we can give you a better opinion....
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

stevewiz
Class E

Post by stevewiz »

http://s270.photobucket.com/editor?imag ... ml?filters[media%5Ftype]=image&sort=3&o=0

This is a photo if it works
RV-7 N71SW reserved
Started on 10/8/2013
Working on Fuselage as of 5/10/15 95%done
started finish kit on 7/1/16
engine on order from Barett.Will be shown at their EAA booth and then delivered to us after show

plbarrett2004
Class E

Post by plbarrett2004 »

Looking at the picture, I say leave it and build on.

If it bothers you when you are done the plane, you can fix it then!

Cheers,
Peter
Peter Barrett
CFI, CFII, MEI
RV-8 Fastback - Fuselage in progress
Build Log @ papalimabravo.com
SEMPER FIDELIS

Joe Parish
Class D

Post by Joe Parish »

If I remember correctly, I thought I read somewhere that you could lightly tap the outside edges of those rivets to get them to better form to the skin. I thought Vans had that in the instructions but my memory is not what it use to be? Hard to tell from the picture but if they are against the skin in the center that may possibly work?
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A

paulie
Class G

rivet

Post by paulie »

No prob, but I used cherry max rivets.