Antenna Location - Question?

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 7/7A.
BSwayze
Class C

Antenna Location - Question?

Post by BSwayze »

Hello Everybody,

I have acquired my COM and Transponder antennas, and I've been studying possible locations. A lot of questions arise after seeing what everyone else has done.

I'm planning on putting the transponder antenna right up front, near the firewall, but my question has to do with the COM bent whip antenna. I see a lot of guys putting them right behind the wing spar, under one of the seats. But I'm thinking of putting it just forward of the wing spar, under the gear leg weldment. It's out of the way, the wiring run with the coax would be much simpler, and it's an easy install. Here's a picture of the stiffener on the floor where I'm thinking of putting it. I haven't drilled any holes yet. My ADSB antenna, btw, is back behind the baggage bulkhead on the belly, so this location also gives plenty of distance between all the antennae.

My question: are there any "gotchas", or potential pitfalls with this location? It almost seems too easy, so I thought I better check with the brain trust here first.

Any input greatly appreciated, thanks guys!
Bruce Swayze
Portland, Oregon
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
RV-7A Working on Firewall Forward

Vlad
Class E

Post by Vlad »

Bruce if you plan to put interior covers for gear mounts then it's good. They are rigid and will protect the connector/wire. If not you will eventually bump it. It's a very critical connection and you don't want to step on it. Go with the flow put it behind. Just a thought...
RV-9A N666BK flying 4,500+ hours since 2011

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Bruce,

Something else to consider is to try to get the comm antenna as far from the transponder antenna as possible.
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS