garmin pitch auto pilot servo bracket placement

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 7/7A.
simatos
Class E

garmin pitch auto pilot servo bracket placement

Post by simatos »

installing pitch servo for garmin autopilot. Instructions indicate where to mount behind the bell crank instruction recomend "centered over rivets 3 to 6 along bellcrank rib. also indicates distance from bellcrank center point to forward edge of bracket should be 2.66 inch. this is no where close for me if I am reading instructions correctly. anyone been down this road??? Thanks

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

Do you have the elevator pushrod adjusted properly? This could throw off your numbers.

The key is to get it to a happy place where the supplied pushrod is happy with the correct amount of threads inserted into the bearings and give you proper edge distance on the rivets holding the bracket.

Adjust the position as necessary to get a good compromise. Just remember to ensure everything is rigged properly before starting and ensure that you lock the elevator in neutral. The goal is to keep all bell cranks and pushrods close to 90° without them being able to go over center.

My original install was the Dynon bracket using the Dynon directions. This same bracket worked fine for when I switched to the TruTrak servo. Later I switched to the Garmin and ended up needing a longer servo pushrod in order to use the original mount and location.
Brantel (Brian Chesteen),
RV12-IS, #121606, N912BC - Building Now!
RV10, #41942, N????? - Project Sold
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB - SOLD

simatos
Class E

Post by simatos »

OK That sounds like good advice. I had forgotten what a pleasure it is to work in the tail cone especially when the cell phone rings and its on the other work bench, Cheers G