RV8-A Boarding Step

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 8/8A
Jeff Moreau
Class G

RV8-A Boarding Step

Post by Jeff Moreau »

I am having difficutly getting the flange of my boarding step to match the curve in my fuselage skins. Also it appears that the tube of the step which mounts to the rear baggage floor rib is going to slightly interfere with my rudder cable. Has anyone had similar problems. Any thoughts or comments on how to correct these problems would be greatly appreciated.
Jeff Moreau
RV8-A
N888JA

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

I'm just a lowly 7 builder but finished installing two steps last week. Perhaps a picture of what you're having a problem with. I used a ball peen hammer to get a nice smooth fit on the rear side bottom of the attach plate. That would be where the fuse rolls under. Also the plate was askew to the surface of the fuselage and needed to be re-aimed by reshaping the holes through which the mounting tube passed.

Last edited by jim_geo on Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff Moreau
Class G

Thanks

Post by Jeff Moreau »

Thanks for the information. I am going to break out my trusty Ball Peen Hammer tomorrow and have a good whack at that step.
Jeff Moreau
RV8-A
N888JA

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

Thought you might be able to get more out of these pics.

Jeff Moreau
Class G

Rivets

Post by Jeff Moreau »

I see a couple of blind rivets in your photo. What type and size are those as I may wish to use a few on my step.
Jeff Moreau
RV8-A
N888JA

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

They are MSP 42 rivets and they can be used instead of solid rivets or in any combination as per the optional step kit instructions.