Getting Started

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 8/8A
m1sandman
Class G

Getting Started

Post by m1sandman »

Howdy all,

So I got everything inventoried, bought all my tools, resurfaced my workbench, did a big clean out on the garage (still need more, tho), and bought the preview plans at SNF.

I've got 2 questions:
1. I opened the preview plans and started reading the Emp assembly section. When I headed out to the garage, I left the preview plans inside and opened the construction manual that came with my kit (I bought it off Ebay, I believe it's a 99 or 00 kit), and the steps were different (right off the bat). So I started comparing things, and the drawings in the Preview Plans are way different than the full size plans I got. I'm sure between the 2 construction manuals and 2 sets of drawings I can figure it out, but since I haven't even started yet, would it make sense to go ahead and buy a current full size drawing set?

2. One of the first steps calls for the ends on HS609PP to be rounded (see the Rear View on drawing 3). How do I determine the proper radius, and what would be the proper tool to do this with since it is a lot of rounding work. File? Scotchbrite wheel?

Many thanks to all,
Steve
Tampa

PS. anyone know of an EAA Technical Advisor in the tampa area? thnx!

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Round it with a file and fionish it off with one of these buggers:

The previes plans are not for construction. They are just for entertainment, but if they are the same revision you can use them for building.

Go by by the big set. My -7 kit is of the same vintage and there are very few problems with those plans.

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

m1sandman
Class G

Post by m1sandman »

Thanks for the quick reply, Captain!
I knew there was something else I forgot to buy (got the wheel, forgot the pads)...

The only reason I would considering buying an updated plans set is the fact that they are so different than the ones I have (and the construction plans are, too). Do you have any problems with support from Vans because of the older plans? Or am I just making a bigger deal out of this than I should...

Thanks!

m1sandman
Class G

Post by m1sandman »

By the way, is there an FAQ with all the dumb newbie questions anywhere around? Like "Do I prime just the inside components, or do all sides of all parts"... etc?

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

During the building process of my RV-8, there have been a few revisions to the plans for measurements of drilling holes, etc. that came about from other builders problems that were brought to Van's attention with the older kits.

This to me would suggest that it would be a good idea to build from the most recently revised plans vans has to offer.

Just call them and find out if you have the most recent set of drawings or plans. If not, then only buy what you need to update that part of the kit for now, and don't bother getting the entire package. New ones are included with the sub kits as you buy them.
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

m1sandman
Class G

Post by m1sandman »

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply... that is what my thought process was when I started comparing things. I'll see about getting the updated drawings for the empennage tomorrow.

Thanks!
Steve

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Sandman and Dave,

When I started building, Van said to hold off on the newest plans until I got to the fuse. Seeing as new plans come with each component and I will be starting the fuse this summer, I may not buy the update at all. Hmmmm, dunno...

...and I am priming everything. Inside, outside and all through the house.

RV-7

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

m1sandman wrote:By the way, is there an FAQ with all the dumb newbie questions anywhere around? Like "Do I prime just the inside components, or do all sides of all parts"... etc?
Welcome to the group :thumbsup:

As far as a FAQ, we have been using the search feature of the board. Its pretty darned good.

-- Spike
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

Levrie
Class G

RV plans old & new?

Post by Levrie »

Hello there!

I'm was in a similar position to you. I recently bought an abandoned project RV8A QB, just the HS was completed. My kit is circa 1999/2000. I also had the original plans but thought it a good idea to have the 'most recent' plans to build with. Speaking with VANS, they advised me to stick to the ORIGINAL plans supplied with the kit/build. NOT to use the 'newer/revised' plans!

I bought the later plans anyway and use them solely as a 'sanity check' just in case the originals are unclear. I do keep to all the ORIGINAL instructions/criteria though.

Whilst the newer plans carry revisions and, in my opinion, easier to understand they are not always specific to my build no. VANS told me, that the only real source of amendments would be from the RVATOR magazine. I was unhappy about this as backdated copies are not easily come by and also it's not the easiest research medium, but that's from the oracle.

I'm in the UK and we have a very strict, build stage inspection scheme and the inspectors would only authorise each stage against the ORIGINAL plans with the amendments from the RVator as mentioned.

I'm in a lucky position too as I'm helping with the build of two other very recent RV8's and there is sense in the advice from VANS. some parts are very similar but NOT QUITE the same.

Hope this helps?

David

m1sandman
Class G

Post by m1sandman »

Hi David,
thanks for the reply.... I spoke to Bruce at Vans yesterday afternoon and his advice was the same -- the newer plans are not necessary, although he didn't say anything about sticking to the older instructions for building. The newer ones seem like they are much more concise, but that's just my .02 at this point.

CJ. on the priming -- you did the skins inside and out as well? The only reason I ask is that most of the builders logs I visit, it seems like they have completed assemblies with gleaming aluminum exteriors (which are awful pretty)...

Thanks to all,
Steve

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

m1sandman wrote:CJ. on the priming -- you did the skins inside and out as well?
Oh!

Sorry... misleading comment!

I am leaving the exterior of all the skins shiny aluminum during the building process. Before I ship to the airport, it is going to the Auto Body Shop at school and getting painted.

Anything that doesn't see the sun is a better, more accurate statement! But that includes the aileron hinges and stuff like that too.

:mrgreen: CJ
RV-7

m1sandman
Class G

Post by m1sandman »

Thanks for the clarification. Do you have a part number or description of the pad attached to your drill in the picture?

Also, I figure out a neat trick -- if you guys have seen or heard this before, ignore it ;)

I was at a restaurant supply store and saw those clear plastic squeeze bottles that restaurants use for ketchup and barbeque sauce, so I bought a bunch of them (like $0.75 each, I think). They come in all different sizes from small to large. When I got home, I filled each one with the different rivets by size, labeled the bottle, and trimmed the nozzle so that it will just let a rivet by. Now I can shake out a few at a time, and if I knock if off the bench (as I am apt to do, I'm sure), they don't go everywhere.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Steve

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Great idea sandman Steve! :thumbsup:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Steve, that is a 3M Roloc disc. The maroon ones are the most useful to me. You can get them at Sears, your local Auto Body supply shop, Avery or Cleaveland.
If you need specific part numbers I can hook you up with hyperlinks, but browse the Avery and Cleveland sites. You will see them.

:mrgreen: CJ
RV-7

m1sandman
Class G

Post by m1sandman »

Thanks for the product name, Cap'n... I am headed out to pick some up tomorrow. Do you use them for deburring, too? or just for polishing? And I'm noticing there are also different stiffnesses of backup pads... any suggestions on that?

Thanks!
S>

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Hmmmm, I wasn't aware of the different stiffness in arbors. I was familiar with different diameters though. I suppose any one would be fine.

Where do you live? If you have a CarQuest near you, they will have them. The problem is, everyone who uses them has their own "pet" name for them!

:)

I have talked to different people and heard them called "cookies" in the Auto Body biz. Others don't have a name for them, just calling them those red grinding pads!

They are all over the web too. If you can't reliably get them locally, bulk from the web is your best deal.

RV-7