New guy question about shop space

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 8/8A
Hostage46
Class G

New guy question about shop space

Post by Hostage46 »

Hi all ....

After over 15 yrs of RV dreaming I finally got a ride this week ... and so it begins!

Preview plans on the way and the tool kit/practice kit, tail feathers by Feb.

My garage has an extra 8 feet on the end I put a wall for a shop, it's a proper man space :) about 25'X8' with lot's of light, air conditioning and bench space.

Anyway I figure I can do the emp and wings there, fuse in the garage. Question is what are the dimensions of the -8 wings in the cradle?
RV-8 preview plans .. Tools and shop prep ....N46UU (reserved)

4kilo
RB's First

Post by 4kilo »

Welcome to the slightly off world of airplane building! (How far off depends upon who you ask.)

My RV-8 wings are 10 feet by 32 inches sitting in the wing cradle, without wing tips. The wing tips would add about 14 inches.

I just measured because they are sitting in my livingroom.

Pat
RV-8
N804PT - IO-360, Hartzell blended airfoil, GRT dual Horizon I & EIS, TruTrak ADI Pilot II
Flying - 950 hours!

Bob Barrett
Class C

Shop Space

Post by Bob Barrett »

You should be good shape to build your whole airplane in your garage if it is a two car garage. I am building an RV-6A in a 24' x 16' shop with a 9' x 61/2' overhead door on one end and a walk in door and windows in the other walls. I have had the wings on the fuselage twice in my garage which is 23' by 26' but it is not heated. In Minneosta you need heat in the Winter and Airconditioning in the Summer! My work shop has both heat and aircondintioning. Yes it would be nice to have more space but I feel I am fortunate to have this much. I have most of my aircraft tools on a piece of 4'x3' pegboard. I also have a work bench where my rivet guns and drill are store. I have a old band saw slowed down to cut metal, a drill press, three different bench grinders. I have my wings and empenge stored in one end of the garage.

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

A little late but

:welcome:

Hostage!
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD